Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT HELP: 4G router questions!
I currently have a 3G modem from Vodafone that works perfectly but I'd like to upgrade to 4G.

At the local Vodafone store they recommended a wireless 4G router but they didn't have it in stock and many of my questions were left unanswered.

Basically, I'm looking for a router or any other device that:

a) Is Windows 7 compatible;

b) Can connect to my PC via wireless and usb (is that even possible?)

c) Can downgrade to 3G. I have several Android tablets that I want to use in class but I believe they are not 4G compatible.

Any tips are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance, guys!

I wish I could help!

Have you tried looking online on the 3G website?

There'll be someone along soon who can answer your question.

My linksys by cisco runs 3 puters, 2 xp and 1 win 7, plus networks all to wireless printer, firewalled and password protected of course, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Some smartphones can be used as access points. My Samsung S3 can be used as an adhoc AP. Some devices don't work with adhoc like the PS3, but it worked well with my laptop when Sandy knocked out our internet for a little while Smile

I guess it depends on how many devices you need to connect and how much bandwidth you need. The phones are good for light use of the internet but don't work so well for heavy usage.

ShyGamer4012 Wrote:Some smartphones can be used as access points. My Samsung S3 can be used as an adhoc AP. Some devices don't work with adhoc like the PS3, but it worked well with my laptop when Sandy knocked out our internet for a little while Smile

I guess it depends on how many devices you need to connect and how much bandwidth you need. The phones are good for light use of the internet but don't work so well for heavy usage.

Well, this is definitely heavy usage.

Example: as soon as I get my router, I want to download 50 tourism apps (I teach economy and tourism) to seven Android tablets using the wireless connection.

The router that was recommended to me at the local Vodafone store was the R210 but I'm not sure if it is USB compatible:

https://www.business.vodafone.com/site/b...ummary.jsp

pellaz Wrote:ck out the reviews at newegg.com
dont know what your intentions are for the usb connection but you might consider that link to be Ethernet instead

Thanks!

Yes, it doesn't have to be USB, as long as it is a physical connection. I'm not very familiar with the wireless technology and I'd like to have an alternative.

MisterLove Wrote:Well, this is definitely heavy usage.

Example: as soon as I get my router, I want to download 50 tourism apps (I teach economy and tourism) to seven Android tablets using the wireless connection.

The router that was recommended to me at the local Vodafone store was the R210 but I'm not sure if it is USB compatible:

https://www.business.vodafone.com/site/b...ummary.jsp

Well, don't forget that with most Android devices you can download once then share between all the devices - You would be much better off getting a micro USB to USB cable, then you can just plug a regular USB memory stick in and copy over files to the Android device. Even easier, you can access the Google Apps store from any desktop PC/MAC, download what you need once to a USB stick and share with your devices.

The R210 is a Mi-Fi router, its not a "router" in the conventional sense. You can connect it via USB, but this is kind of self defeating. Its a wifi hotspot, designed to connect via wifi.

It will work with any device, and there are specific Android apps available from vodafone to manage the connection between router and device, so it will work fine with your Android tablets. 4G works just fine with Android devices, so no worries there.

Data downloads are normally capped as part of the subscription plan. If your going to use it as heavily as you indicate, then be prepared for very (VERY) big monthly bills.

Can I ask why you not using regular wired broadband service (connected to your devices via a wireless router)?

ObW
X

OlderButWiser Wrote:Well, don't forget that with most Android devices you can download once then share between all the devices - You would be much better off getting a micro USB to USB cable, then you can just plug a regular USB memory stick in and copy over files to the Android device.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

What do you mean, 'share between all devices'? Are you talking about Dropbox and other similar apps? I wasn't talking about copying isolated files, I need to install entire apps on each tablet.

Can I install an app on one Android tablet and then copy it to the other six tablets using just a USB cable?

OlderButWiser Wrote:The R210 is a Mi-Fi router, its not a "router" in the conventional sense. You can connect it via USB, but this is kind of self defeating. Its a wifi hotspot, designed to connect via wifi.

Yes I know but I just want to have a 'plan B' in case the wireless connection doesn't work. Again, I know very little about wi-fi connections and I'm still very 'suspicious' about the whole thing.

OlderButWiser Wrote:Data downloads are normally capped as part of the subscription plan. If your going to use it as heavily as you indicate, then be prepared for very (VERY) big monthly bills.

No problems here. I'll pay a monthly subscription and have unlimited access.

OlderButWiser Wrote:Can I ask why you not using regular wired broadband service (connected to your devices via a wireless router)?

Not possible, I need to be mobile.

Thanks again for your help! Smile

Hmmm, I'm not the most knowledgeable on routers, but I'm pretty sure Linksys has really good ones and Ciscos.

OlderButWiser Wrote:[...] Can I ask why you not using regular wired broadband service (connected to your devices via a wireless router)?

ObW
X

OMG I think I know what you mean now.

Yes, you are absolutely right, it's a good solution.

I just bought a device called Vodafone Sharing Dock that allows me to share my internet connection with other devices via wi-fi.

So, I still have the same 3G connection (physically linked to my PC via Ethernet, just like I wanted) but now I am able to share it with the tablets I use in class. Problem solved! Smile

My only complaint: the Sharing Dock is not 4G compatible, the guy at the store told they haven't made a 4G model yet.