Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uhmm Curious I Guess
fredv3b Wrote:Please name them.

A Single Man, Milk, there was this romance b/w two teen gays in Ugly Betty, Justin and Austin...

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:A Single Man, Milk, there was this romance b/w two teen gays in Ugly Betty, Justin and Austin...

Ugly Betty isn't a film. Even if it were 3 examples isn't what I'd call 'sooo many'.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

To be fair, only Kurt on Glee falls on the more 'typical' side of portrayals. His boyfriend, the closeted bully, and Santana (possibly bi Brittany?) represent a wider range. Though I do think the show would have been wiser to spread out some storylines amongst different characters this season, I don't think it's a case of trying to be like 'we're cool' either as one of the main people behind the camera, Ryan Murphy (who also created Popular and nip/tuck) is gay himself. And though Kurt can be more typical, I do like the relationship with his dad.

As for movies, I agree that they are out there, but typically not in the mainstream blockbusters that get wide opening-day releases. I live in a small city and neither Milk or A Single Man hit theatres here to my memory (I may be mistaken... I do know Brokeback Mountain eventually did riding its Oscar buzz but usually smaller films, gay or otherwise, don't).

fredv3b Wrote:Ugly Betty isn't a film. Even if it were 3 examples isn't what I'd call 'sooo many'.

Right. Okay then. I admit, movies that have gay characters totally suck because no one ever thinks that not all gay people are flamboyant. Hollywood, you and your damn directors suck. Go die in a hole.

All I am saying is that although there are movies with non-camp gay characters (A Single Man was brilliant) there aren't all that many of them.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

There's a double edged sword at work here though. We're quick to criticize the use of stereotypes or the representation of gay men as feminine, but what does it mean for us to be so bothered by these representations. Are we not throwing the effeminate and stereotypical members of our community under the bus, because we don't want to be the butt of the heterosexual's jokes. Reclaim the stereotypes, embrace them, and let the breeders think what they will.

Is the image we want Hollywood to portray of us the straight-acting incognito gay?

What we really need is camp gay men represented as something that isn't a joke.

fredv3b Wrote:Please name them.

beautiful thing - the young lads were gay in it and not camp lolTongue thats my one pointer put in Tongue

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:Aw that's not true! There are soooo many movies that portray gay guys as totally normal, as in acting almost not at all gay, not showing their sexuality. But then, there ARE so many flamboyant gay guys, right? Usually only fucking dumbass musical series like Glee portray gay guys as so feminine and stuff because they're trying to get more viewers by saying "oh look we are sooo open minded and cool we have a bullied gay in our show".

In my believe every single move potray gay guys totally normal. It is amazed me how people including GAY PEOPLE think flamboyant gay guys are NOT NORMAL.
I don't see anything wrong with a flamboyant gay guys thus there is no reason to be mad for them to represent us on TV.
Of course show for audience who does are not familiar with LGBT community needs to exaggerate the faminity but that is what they do to everyone, not only gay guy. Do you think a super hero would be that perfect or a mean girl would be that mean in real life? Hell, No.

And again, we are members of LGBT community, if we want straight people accept us then learn how to accept our community first. You are not LESS GAY than a guy who dress like a queen.

posterpicture Wrote:In my believe every single move potray gay guys totally normal. It is amazed me how people including GAY PEOPLE think flamboyant gay guys are NOT NORMAL.
I don't see anything wrong with a flamboyant gay guys thus there is no reason to be mad for them to represent us on TV.
Of course show for audience who does are not familiar with LGBT community needs to exaggerate the faminity but that is what they do to everyone, not only gay guy. Do you think a super hero would be that perfect or a mean girl would be that mean in real life? Hell, No.

And again, we are members of LGBT community, if we want straight people accept us then learn how to accept our community first. You are not LESS GAY than a guy who dress like a queen.

I think in life your find alot of people in the gay community that think just because they dont behave that way its their right to critise however one thing i have learnt since coming out as gay eight years ago is that people within a community have to critise one another purely because they cannot understand how an indiviaul in their boat can behave in a way that can be seen as massively over the top... I have friends who are camp as christmas yet as macho as hetro men trying to impress a woman... I personally find a mixture of both can be great

agree with DannyE. I'd love to see more masculine men in gay-themed movies! Confusedmile: