Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unemployable
I feel depressed about my life which is going nowhere. I recently graduated from university with a first class degree buy can't even get a job in McDonald's or Tesco. I am long term unemployed and nobody is interested. I really want to earn money. I've worked in a factory two times but both times I got suicidal because I hated it so much. I am really slow and weak and one I got sacked on the second day because they thought I was doing it on purpose. Factory work just makes me really depressed yet it's the only work available and I can't get to the industrial estate anyway because I can't drive and there is no chance of me affording driving lessons. I would live on benefits forever but it's just not enough money. I have long given up on actually having a career and feel totally hopeless because even if I ever do get a job (I feel like I have applied everywhere) what if it makes me feel like I did in the factory? I am a slow learner and have no practical/physical skills despite the fact I'm good at being charming at the interview, I always fuck it up on a trial run and never get employed because I am so useless. I am just totally unemployable and don't know what to do Sad
Catsmileydwi'n jyst fachgen o cymru efo materion meddyliol yn byd meddyliolCatsmiley

What about youtube?You can make a little bit of money off of that, if you do something innocent like ASMR.

Do you have any skills or activities you enjoy doing in your spare time? Bee

What's ASMR? I tried YouTube when I was younger but could never get enough views. I'm not very tech-literate. I guess I'm okay with Office. Lol.

I don't really have a lot of skills. I'm a decent writer but I always get bored with it. I am a performer by trade but we have a right wing government and the jobs there simply don't exist.
Catsmileydwi'n jyst fachgen o cymru efo materion meddyliol yn byd meddyliolCatsmiley

I would say that first and foremost that your current mental perception of things is going to get you nowhere. I mean by this that you seem to have problems with self-esteem and they are probably noticeable. That is not going to get you hired.

Now, there are reasons, naturally, as to why you are in the mental state you are. Everyone is determined by the experiences they have and it leaves marks, of course, when they have been bad. I'm afraid that if you keep being in this emotional condition it's only going to make employment even harder.

The first thing you would need to do is leave negative thoughts aside for a bit and assess your skills, the things that you are good at, any potential trait that will make you employable. Ok, so heavy lifting, for instance, doesn't seem to be within your skills due to physical factors. But then, ask yourself, what CAN you do? What HAVE you done that you've been successful at? What kind of job would require the skills you have?

I would also reccommend trying to get out of this negative thought cycle. Don't be so hard on yourself. Have patience with yourself. Keep trying. Everyone has at least one skill that is employable and that means you need only to find the right kind of job for you.

Now may I ask what is your degree? You haven't mentioned seeking employment in that area.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

I know that feeling well. Guessing hearing me getting a job after years of trying hasn't helped.

Only thing I can suggest is doing has much voluntary work as possible.

Insertnamehere Wrote:I would say that first and foremost that your current mental perception of things is going to get you nowhere. I mean by this that you seem to have problems with self-esteem and they are probably noticeable. That is not going to get you hired.

Now, there are reasons, naturally, as to why you are in the mental state you are. Everyone is determined by the experiences they have and it leaves marks, of course, when they have been bad. I'm afraid that if you keep being in this emotional condition it's only going to make employment even harder.

The first thing you would need to do is leave negative thoughts aside for a bit and assess your skills, the things that you are good at, any potential trait that will make you employable. Ok, so heavy lifting, for instance, doesn't seem to be within your skills due to physical factors. But then, ask yourself, what CAN you do? What HAVE you done that you've been successful at? What kind of job would require the skills you have?

I would also reccommend trying to get out of this negative thought cycle. Don't be so hard on yourself. Have patience with yourself. Keep trying. Everyone has at least one skill that is employable and that means you need only to find the right kind of job for you.

Now may I ask what is your degree? You haven't mentioned seekig employment in that area.

Oh I know that. Everyone has been telling me I am too negative since I was like 5. I don't think it's going to change now. I can pretend to be enthusiastic at interviews. I have a performing arts degree. There is nothing in that field except for in March if you're lucky enough to get on a cruise ship for the summer but then that's only three months a year.

The arts is dead for us mere mortals sadly. Only mummy and daddy kids will get anywhere with it.

supasyd Wrote:What's ASMR? I tried YouTube when I was younger but could never get enough views. I'm not very tech-literate. I guess I'm okay with Office. Lol.

I don't really have a lot of skills. I'm a decent writer but I always get bored with it. I am a performer by trade but we have a right wing government and the jobs there simply don't exist.

It's where you whisper, or talk softly, or just make noise with objects on video or audio, and upload it to youtube.

If you do it steadily enough (many... many.. many videos) and with good video titles and tags. Your channel can definitely grow, whether you have high-tech equipment or not, is really not an issue. You can even make that your gimmick, low-tech, fuzzy sounds, or something. You don't even need to appear on camera.

You never know, could be lots of fun to try out. <3

I agree with the others though, it's important to let go of the past's hold on your current perspective. This new moment in time can be different, if you clear your mind and let it be. Fish2

edit: BUTT... also, don't beat up on yourself about the thoughts you think. In fact, appreciate that they have given birth to the realization that you want more, or something else. All of these limiting thoughts "I can't do this" "I don't like that" can lead to coursing over many, many, many possibilities, which you may find more plausible when you look over them with a more positive head-space.

supasyd Wrote:Oh I know that. Everyone has been telling me I am too negative since I was like 5. I don't think it's going to change now. I can pretend to be enthusiastic at interviews. I have a performing arts degree. There is nothing in that field except for in March if you're lucky enough to get on a cruise ship for the summer but then that's only three months a year.

I don't think it's a matter to not be "negative" (I am fairly negative myself) but rather to not let it affect your goals.

Ok, is there somewhere else where you can get a performing job? Relocate maybe? If you can land a job like you described, would it pay enough to give you room to look for other jobs for the remaining part of the year?

Have you considered training yourself on a technical level on anything else? There are plentyful (well, at least here) short spanning technical careers that you could pursue in order to get a job
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

larafan25 Wrote:It's where you whisper, or talk softly, or just make noise with objects on video or audio, and upload it to youtube.

If you do it steadily enough (many... many.. many videos) and with good video titles and tags. Your channel can definitely grow, whether you have high-tech equipment or not, is really not an issue. You can even make that your gimmick, low-tech, fuzzy sounds, or something. You don't even need to appear on camera.

You never know, could be lots of fun to try out. <3

I agree with the others though, it's important to let go of the past's hold on your current perspective. This new moment in time can be different, if you clear your mind and let it be. Fish2

edit: BUTT... also, don't beat up on yourself about the thoughts you think. In fact, appreciate that they have given birth to the realization that you want more, or something else. All of these limiting thoughts "I can't do this" "I don't like that" can lead to coursing over many, many, many possibilities, which you may find more plausible when you look over them with a more positive head-space.

Hahaha. I think I'd struggle to take myself seriously but ill look into it. I have looked into teaching abroad but even then you need money for flights and visas and things. I've never been in a positive head space but I'm past the point of effecting my efficiency in life. I feel down because I just am not getting anywhere. It's nearly Christmas and not even big retail chains will hire me. It's depressing