Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uni problems
So i'm at Uni doing a Business Management degree (1st year)
the thing is, i really don't enjoy the course anymore, i don't know why, i just don't think it is adding anything at all to my life, career etc, i mean i know the piece of paper added to my CV will make me more attractive to employers but i just feel like i'm wasting my time doing pointless work that just wont be of any help whatsoever.
I dont really know what to do. Any advice?

I believe all students will feel this way at some point, i did too and i know exactly how you feel! Ok well at least a 98% as we all are different but... I can so much understand how it is like. Studying something and doing essays that you think are pointless and dont give you anything more than a piece of paper at the end that others might already have and perhaps found no good use for it or didnt gave them anything extra. However it does gives you an advantage and maybe a big one to start your life. You might not feel it now but being in the university doing all these course work, have no time for much, dealing with deadlines all the time is stressful and gives you a big headache BUT believe me it so worth it. You are growing as a person , your mind gets stronger and if you are a good person you become better.

When you go into employment you will see the degree that you have shows your employer you have knowledge on a subject but further more shows them you have committed to something and finished it. It is like a life experience you get by studying and others get by working for years and years but you have specialized into something that makes you highly employable. This is what the employers actually want to see. Also on the way of your employment you will learn more, get more experience and from that ..sky is the limit.

Btw degrees like yours are very very versatile. If you dont know yet what you want to do in life (i am 30 and i have trouble with this too... yeah funny i know but actually it's not :redfaceSmile you can take your degree and apply it in what you want. You can start something yours you can make a twist in your career to be happier , oh so many things you will find on the way. Wink

I am in a similar predicament. I'm a 2nd year german student and I'm getting annoyed of doing educative work now. Essays and the like. I've got to go abroad for a year in sept. and I really don't want to. So I'm also not sure what to do. Hmmmm.

I think if you're not enjoying it, you won't do well at it, you need to study something of interest Confusedmile:

I can understand what you are going thru.

What do you enjoy?

I studied Data Processing at a vocational high-school. I did good. I thought I could study Computer Science at Uni.

I hated it!

I found my interest in Film & started taking courses in Cinema as well as Film Making. Thru my interest and while studying I became head of the Film Society and built a quarter million dollar film schedule. My posters won national prizes. I assistant managed a movie theatre while studying. I interned with Columbia Pictures.

After graduating I moved and managed a video store. Someone suggested moving to Japan. All I needed for a teaching position was a degree. I found my love in Japan and we moved to San Francisco where we developed his line of clothing to sell in Japan. We had great success.

I believe finding something you enjoy and turning that into a career is the most positive thing one can do in their life. I never made a lot of money but had a satisfying life.

Good luck and I hope you find a subject to study that brings joy in your life.

I'm lazy, I don't like study.

study is lazy, it doesnt wanna do me Sad

... wait, what? o.O

my philosophy is "if you're not happy anymore, then get out"... that would be my advise to you as well.