Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on my crazy diet (a bit freaky!)
It's been a month or two since I started my new diet (very simple, just skip breakfast) and it's still working. Even my students and old acquaintances are commenting that I look much slimmer (last year, the kids said I was chubbier). I always had these big love handles for as long as I can remembre and now there's barely any fat around my waist.

I was expecting a sudden wieght gain or some boomerang effect but that didn't happen.

Last night, just before going to sleep (when I'm at my heaviest) I weighed myself and the result was 72.1 kg. This morning, it was 71 kg. I'm 37 y.o. and 1.74m tall.

What's even more surprising (and a bit freaky!) is that I can eat anything I want during the day - incl. junk food, sweets, anything - as long as I don't have any food in the morning.

No exercise, no restrictions, just skip breakfast - that's it. I'm not saying that's a sensible thing to do but it sure works with me.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there any scientific explanation for this? Is breakfast not as important as they say? This goes against every nutrition manual I know.

What do you eat during the day? Maybe that's contributing to yur weight loss?

I guess everyone is different. Ancient Greeks used to not eat breakfast either, they would have 2 meals a day.

It sounds to me like there's something wrong. Skipping breakfast, but eating two other meals along with all the snacks you want during the day would normally contribute to weight gain.

I'd go see a doctor and tell him about your sudden weight loss. There might be another reason besides skipping breakfast, that is causing this.

As an example: Diabetics can eat 5 meals a day and still loose weight if their glucose level is extremely high.

Sincerely,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Quote:Last night, just before going to sleep (when I'm at my heaviest) I weighed myself and the result was 72.1 kg. This morning, it was 71 kg. I'm 37 y.o. and 1.74m tall.
1.1 kg (2.4 pound) change in mass over an 8-12 hour period is not weight loss. Most likely you pissed or took a dump or sweated out a lot of water through night.
.5 kg is about 500ml of water. A typical morning piss can be that high.

The average weight of a day's worth of stool is 450 grams.

Stool and urine: That is nearly 1 kg of mass right there.

If your weight has changed this much in a single night without a bowel movement and urination you have a serious problem.

A healthy human's mass can change between 1-2.5 pounds in 24 hours period based on intake of fluid vs outflow and with the mass of food ingested to how much stool they evacuate.

Real fat burning mass requires a bit more time and 1.1 KG is way to much fat to burn in as little as 24 hours or less.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:1.1 kg (2.4 pound) change in mass over an 8-12 hour period is not weight loss. [...]

No, I didn't lose it overnight, that's not what I meant.

I'm talking about 5-6 kgs that I lost in more or less a month. I weighed 77 kgs a month ago, when I had to leave the gym, and now I'm at 71 kgs.

And this weight loss happened precisely when I started to skip breakfast (I found out entirely by accident, I had to skip breakfast 2 days in a row and noticed my weight was dropping FAST). I'm sure that's no coincidence and I don't see any other explanation.

Lilitu Wrote:What do you eat during the day? Maybe that's contributing to yur weight loss?

I guess everyone is different. Ancient Greeks used to not eat breakfast either, they would have 2 meals a day.

During the day I now eat all sorts of crap, incl. junk food. I avoid cookies, chips, sodas and fruit juices but that's it.

One thing's fore sure: most breakfast cereals you find in the supermarket are crap (that's what I had everyday for breakfast), they're loaded with sugar and there's nothing healthy about them.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:It sounds to me like there's something wrong. Skipping breakfast, but eating two other meals along with all the snacks you want during the day would normally contribute to weight gain.
[...]

I have no idea.

Yes, there's a price to pay for this crazy diet: I feel less energetic, sometimes I get headaches but so far, I've had no serious problems.

And the joy of having a flat stomach at 37 is worth it!

MisterLove Wrote:During the day I now eat all sorts of crap, incl. junk food. I avoid cookies, chips, sodas and fruit juices but that's it.

One thing's fore sure: most breakfast cereals you find in the supermarket are crap (that's what I had everyday for breakfast), they're loaded with sugar and there's nothing healthy about them.

Oh well then the problem wasn't having a meal, it was what you ate.

Try a bit of fruit or something that is filling, provides you with energy and doesn't have so many calories in the morning.

I bet you will still lose weight.

This weight loss is biologically nonsensical. Either your metabolism is inverted or something or there is a health issue going on.

MisterLove Wrote:I have no idea.

Yes, there's a price to pay for this crazy diet: I feel less energetic, sometimes I get headaches but so far, I've had no serious problems.

And the joy of having a flat stomach at 37 is worth it!

A flatter stomach and smaller waist size is definitely worth the effort. Congratulations!!!
We Have Elvis !!