Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on my crazy diet (a bit freaky!)
MisterLove Wrote:Yes, there's a price to pay for this crazy diet: I feel less energetic, sometimes I get headaches but so far, I've had no serious problems.

And the joy of having a flat stomach at 37 is worth it!

I have to disagree, Love. If you are feeling less energetic and sometimes get headaches, that could be a sign of some serious problems. In any case, it probably means your current routine is not sustainable.

You may find the same benefit by eating a small healthy breakfast rather than the cereal you gave up. Oatmeal with fruit, yogurt with fruit, eggs with sauteed greens... there are many simple and good options that will support weight loss.

My son is on a diet plan that also skips breakfast and allows for eating lots of calories in the afternoon. It's called the Renegade Diet (because it goes against conventional thinking). He looks great and has lots of energy, but he's also 16 and at the end of a serious growth spurt.

The creator of the Renegade Diet has some science to back up his reasons for skipping breakfast. His goal with it is for weight loss with muscle gain. It's not for everyone, and I'm not recommending it in general. Just letting you know it's at least somewhat like what you're trying.

Here is a review by a health and fitness blogger. I like his emphasis on health first, followed by weight loss. It includes a link to the Renegade info, and it's worth a read.

To your good health and flat stomach!

MisterLove Wrote:It's been a month or two since I started my new diet (very simple, just skip breakfast) and it's still working. Even my students and old acquaintances are commenting that I look much slimmer (last year, the kids said I was chubbier). I always had these big love handles for as long as I can remembre and now there's barely any fat around my waist.

I was expecting a sudden wieght gain or some boomerang effect but that didn't happen.

Last night, just before going to sleep (when I'm at my heaviest) I weighed myself and the result was 72.1 kg. This morning, it was 71 kg. I'm 37 y.o. and 1.74m tall.

What's even more surprising (and a bit freaky!) is that I can eat anything I want during the day - incl. junk food, sweets, anything - as long as I don't have any food in the morning.

No exercise, no restrictions, just skip breakfast - that's it. I'm not saying that's a sensible thing to do but it sure works with me.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there any scientific explanation for this? Is breakfast not as important as they say? This goes against every nutrition manual I know.

if skipping breakfast is a diet then im its star pupil, i dont recommend it misterlove and especially not using it as an excuse to eat what you like during the day

MisterLove Wrote:Last night, ... I weighed myself and the result was 72.1 kg. This morning, it was 71 kg

Correction: last night you weighed yourself and the result was 706.58 Newtons. This morning, your weight was 705.6 Newtons.
Kilograms are a unit of mass, not weight.

Geminize Wrote:[...]My son is on a diet plan that also skips breakfast and allows for eating lots of calories in the afternoon. It's called the Renegade Diet (because it goes against conventional thinking). [...]

Very interesting, I'll check it out.

Yes, this is definitely not conventional, almost everyone seems to agree that a good breakfast is essential.

A few years ago, I tried fasting in the evening (i.e. no food after 8 pm): I did lose weight but my results were nowhere near as spectacular as these.

5 kgs in one month! Smile

Another important detail: everytime I went on holiday I put on A LOT of weight. Now I know why: I always had a lavish breakfast everywhere I went (e.g. the wonderful english breakfast at The Regency Café in London)

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:[...] I bet you will still lose weight.

You're probably right Sweetie but I have to confess I'm a bit scared to change - I don't want to risk losing these gains and I have still have 2 more kgs to lose until I reach my final goal: 69 kgs!

Skipping breakfast is apparently bad for you but it did help me shed some fats too Tongue
Lost 7kg in 3 months.
Sometimes I skip dinner instead (so I always have 2 meals per day)

I skip a few meals a day as well - I'm down to 146 pounds today... Of course I skip more than one meal a day, usually eating around one meal every two days....

I spent a small fortune at the local gym and results were mediocre - I was losing about 1-2 kgs every month. Exercise is great for your general health but if your goal is just weight loss, there's only one thing to do: put down the fork.

I think I'll go back to swimming, though. It's great and much cheaper than the gym.

Blake Wrote:[...] Sometimes I skip dinner instead (so I always have 2 meals per day)

I tried it too but it wasn't as effective as this one.

MisterLove Wrote:I spent a small fortune at the local gym and results were mediocre - I was losing about 1-2 kgs every month. Exercise is great for your general health but if your goal is just weight loss, there's only one thing to do: put down the fork.

I think I'll go back to swimming, though. It's great and much cheaper than the gym.

Thats what my mom always says to people...."wanna lose weight?....seal your mouth with concrete"

I still feel weary about this whole skipping breakfast thing...I do it out of necessity...cause work is an hour and a half away from me...but I have not lost a single pound..

If it's working for you, fantastic, but keep in check any sign of health issues Confusedmile:

I swim too...it's the only reason I have some biceps going on..