Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upside Down
A good jump in income and working with a lot of people from a good number of institutions, hence allowing you to network all over the place, sounds totally worthwhile!

Someone here surely can help with how to get the right references without rocking the boat at work.

It means I will be busy all the time. So basically when we have a problem we in IT can't address we submit a help desk ticket into the system office... I would be one of the people who would pick up these help desk tickets and try to help their way through. One thing though is I don't know if I would like the job or if I would rather stay at an institution.

I just don't want to dig myself into another hole, already in one. I've also only been at the place I work for just over a year, might not be a bad idea to work there for another year, just to gain more experience and it doesn't look good jumping job to job all the time either.

One of the things I would be worried about doing is isolating myself. Last time I was out on my own I pretty much isolated myself, although I was in an extremely secluded place where it was a 30 minute drive to the nearest grocery store, forget about Wal-Mart. I recall doing something similar when I briefly attended a university. Makes me very depressed and everything else suffers.

It just doesn't feel right. I'd wish I were moving out there with someone I knew but I don't think I can count on that but does seem like a lot of people end up doing that.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Perhaps a move up into a position of greater responsibility and greater salary would be viewed positively by any prospective employers. It certainly could be explained, "I quickly advanced in my career because I wanted to be in a larger city, to take on greater responsibility, to be better compensated for my talents, to develop more skills and technical expertise, and to get into a better living situation for myself." Who could argue with that?

Busy all the time sounds like modern professional life.

It's true you will have other opportunities in the future given your field. In a year from now, would you be digging any less deep of a hole for a move? There is an appeal to having a good portion of the financial resources needed for the move.

Yes, you will definitely need to plan how to avoid social isolation when moving alone to a new city. People make that type of move all the time. You can do it successfully. It's a real concern.

You have a tendency to look at all the reasons why not and list those out. How about a list of all the positives too?

There is a right level of risk to take. There's a danger of being too risk averse, and there's a danger of being too rash. Wishing you great insight.

I don't want to be busy all the time, I like my down time too. Very easy to get burned out trying to do too much.

Social isolation, that;'s the thing. I really have no idea how to avoid it. Not so much that I'm anti-social, I'm simply not outgoing. I don't think it is something that will really change, been something I've dealt with most of my life and never seem to get over it.

I do focus on the negatives, but things like getting fired on a probationary period and losing everything I have and winding up back here isn't something I take likely. I doubt I would get axed, but it is something that looms over me and it was something I worried about when I started where I'm at last year.

Honestly I think I would enjoy staying at an institution.

Sorry for having to try to be vague lol
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

cest la vie...no one really likes change but in the long run change is always a good thing.

it keeps things from going stale and keeps things exciting.

like what camfer said, try it! the worst they can say is no. but if you don't apply, the answer is already no.

like what the great one said, mr. wayne gretzky: "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

good luck! sounds like you've got quite a bit of stuff going on axel.

That is all true. Suppose I apply, I get offered the position and then what? The problem is simply I can't afford to move anywhere right now. That might very well change in the next year or so, which makes all the difference.

At any rate I think for now I will just focus on the things I need to do so that when the next window of opportunity comes around I'll be in a better position to grab a hold of it.
Check out my stuff!