Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban transport of the future?
Spellbound Wrote:I'm no expert on solution to traffic problems, but wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just ban private vehicles from city centres, and use free, clean step-on-step-off buses or trams, plus cycles? No parking needed, no fumes, fewer accidents. Add a decent subway system and you don't need stuff like this.

I would think it more logical to have these systems in large, downtown, populated areas, and not allow outside traffic at all....except for delivery vehicles, ambulances, police.....

Force the cutback on personal vehicles.

I know that downtown Dallas is a large place, but if a centrally located system as this commuter train were to be railed on both opposing ends of downtown, the walk to any building would be negligible. There could be rickshaws and battery operated mini-taxi's, but no outside traffic. I can say that would be a wonderful thing.

We already have a train system buzzing around town, but if they had something like this in place in downtown, nobody would really need a vehicle.

I think its a very interesting concept, I do agree people would need some additional education and training to share the road with a bus system like this.

Richard

ardus Wrote:I think its a very interesting concept, I do agree people would need some additional education and training to share the road with a bus system like this.

Richard

Remember that when the first motor vehicles were introduced in to the UK their speed limit was 2MPH in the city and 4MPH in the country and in addition to that, they had to have someone walking 60 yards ahead waving a red flag to warn people of it's approach. People learn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10987606
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:Remember that when the first motor vehicles were introduced in to the UK their speed limit was 2MPH in the city and 4MPH in the country and in addition to that, they had to have someone walking 60 yards ahead waving a red flag to warn people of it's approach. People learn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10987606

How the circle turns. In parts of London the average speed is now zero!

My worst traffic jam was when it took an hour forty-five to go 7 miles. That was when the cops shut the M25 and channeled all the traffic through the small Surrey town I lived in. Happy days!