Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using the pot of crock
Does anyone here use a slow cooker regularly? Is it really worth the expense? Is a 6-quart pot too large for two people? Does everything tend to come out as boiled stew?

I should explain that I already have a dutch oven and that I really can cook.

Much advice needed.
This an expensive machine.
I bid NO Trump!

(Q)Does anyone here use a slow cooker regularly?...

(A)A while back .. I used to help my mom prepare stuff when she was in her crock pot phase..

(Q)Is it really worth the expense?

(A)That depends.. if you can see yourself making use of the investment. .. Yes

(Q)Is a 6-quart pot too large for two people?

(A)This guy would disagree..

[Image: 330f027af663474b300890c73131d0a5.jpg]

Six Quarts = 24 cups ..so .. you'll have room.
Are you getting a six quart cock pot with dividers ?

[Image: 249a7a2aeed067f686d95bacdca1f2fc.jpg]

(A)Does everything tend to come out as boiled stew?

(A)Not at all..
http:// http://m.landolakes.com/recipe/4...ry-lo-mein
Just to give an example..

(Q)I should explain that I already have a dutch oven and that I really can cook.

Much advice needed.
This an expensive machine.

(A)A really good programmable pot is about $60.. and up

A decent pot .. $40 and up

A basic.. $20 and up..

We have the simplest crock pot, three settings, no timer, and I think we got it for free. We do use it... I make pot roast, chili, and ratatouille in it, and I read that it can make great mac and cheese and frittatas (Sp?) but haven't tried yet. As long as you put water in it as soon as you're done, it is pretty easy to clean. We put the inner part in the dishwasher to sanitize it.

When I worked, I used the crockpot *religiously*! Now that I will be going back to work next month, I just brought my crockpot it of storage, which makes your post seem serendipitous!

There are TONS of recipes that you can easily throw into the pot, that will be ready when you get home from work!

LOVE my crockpot! Smile

~Beaux

Instead of a crock pot, consider one of those new pressure cookers.

Indeed, Borg. that is another temptation. Pressure cookers scare me.
I bid NO Trump!

You are right, Borg, that is another temptation. Though pressure cookers scare the willies out of me.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Does anyone here use a slow cooker regularly? Is it really worth the expense?

I use mine around 2-4 times a week. It has absolutely been worth the expense to me. Worth every penny, and then some.

That said? I don't have a dutch oven, I have no idea what a dutch oven is, and if it isn't as easy, fast, and energy efficient as tossing a bunch of stuff in a crock pot and turning it on to let it cook for a few hours unattended? I doubt I'd be interested.

LJay Wrote:Is a 6-quart pot too large for two people?

Depends. Do you like leftovers? I love leftovers.

LJay Wrote:Does everything tend to come out as boiled stew?

Nope. But crock pot cooking is a skill and it takes some practice to diversify out from roasts and soups.

That said? I HIGHLY recommend the book The Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution by the editors at America's Test Kitchen. It has a LOT of really good recipes, and a massive amount of tips and tricks for cooking in a slow cooker.

I must stop misreading thread titles...

Oh, go ahead, @Cridders. What you come up with is probably more interesting anyway.
I bid NO Trump!