Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetables
Just curious...

Is there any secret recipes or preparations for vegetables that you know of where the vegetables are al dente (barely cooked...not at all mushy)...and that don't involve cheese?

I am thinking of trying to combine different fruit and veggies ...maybe some kind of dressing...I do it cold in salads but I am thinking something where at least the veggies are steamed a little bit..

I am flirting a bit with the vegan route again and I am really on the fence. When I did it before...I didn't give it a second thought and what spurred me into becoming a vegetarian at the time was the film I saw as a student at San Jose State in one of my classes which showed the mother cow crying for her babies...and how they kept the calves in these horrible pens....

I still rarely eat beef...been that way most of my life now...because I have a hard time getting those cows out of my mind...and I don't really like the taste at all. If I do have it...gotta be a hamburger because I can't see it and it doesn't look like a cow to me. .but this time it is because I know I will be giving myself a better chance of continued good health.

Problem is...I LOVE seafood and I like chicken/turkey a lot...not sure I want to give one or both up and I don't really eat a lot of either anyway. I mostly use chicken in stuff cut up...

..so I am thinking if anything...I can figure out how to replace some of those things with veggies but the al dente thing kinda cancels out most recipes....mushy cooked veggies are a definite NO....

I like some of the ways the Chinese restaurants cook veggies and their flavors but I am wondering if there are other suggestions anyone has....

I like everything except for squash and eggplant

Steamed, WOK'ed, or Grilled (in tinfoil) are all good.

I too don't like 'em mushy. Most of that is preparation and not leaving them to cook too long. I like them with just a little EVOO, garlic powder, a bit of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.

If you're WOK'ing them with a meat (chicken), cook the chicken first until it's nearly done and then add the veggies last - or in stages of firmness: Carrots/Green Peppers first, Onions middle, Mushrooms last so they all end up about the same firm texture.

Oh man borg...of course! Grilled! It never even occurs to me to do it myself but when I am elsewhere I love grilled veggies...

Is there any kind of fruit that is ever grilled?

I do steam and sometimes wok....

East Wrote:Oh man borg...of course! Grilled! It never even occurs to me to do it myself but when I am elsewhere I love grilled veggies...

Is there any kind of fruit that is ever grilled?

I do steam and sometimes wok....

Pineapple and perhaps mango (???) are the only fruits I can picture being grilled. I suppose apple and pear might not be bad, depending on seasoning added, but why would you want to? I hate to admit I'm really not much of a fruit eater. I'd rather put them in a fruit salad with a bit of yogurt, grapes and walnuts. (BF makes a great Waldorf Salad).

My main go-to vegetables are Broccoli, zucchini, and asparagus as a main side dish. Peppers and onions always, green beans and peas if they're FRESH.

Yeah...I remember now I have had grilled pineapple and loved it. I am wondering if watermelon would work?

Thing is...if I could expand my options I could seriously consider vegan but I also think that giving up what I love might be stupid since I am gonna die anyway LOL

Compromise might be the best plan and grilling is something I never think about. Marinade might be fun to figure out too.

[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION] -

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around warm fruit... Instead of Watermellon, you might try Honeydew and/or Cantaloupe ? Baked/grilled Pears might be good? I think fruit should be FRESH, and RAW. Smile

Borg69 Wrote:[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION] -

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around warm fruit... Instead of Watermellon, you might try Honeydew and/or Cantaloupe ? Baked/grilled Pears might be good? I think fruit should be FRESH, and RAW. Smile

I have baked apples with cinnamon before with good results...pears might be good too....

I know what you mean though...I was thinking originally cold fruit w/warm veggies. I guess I could experiment. I use cranberries with green beans regularly but they are dried....

I've seen (but not eaten) some breaded, fried, sliced eggplant made into "hamburger patties" for a veggie burger. Are you brave enough to try that???

Lightly boil cut up broccoli and carrots and then sautee them quickly in the wok with a good quality olive oil. I sometimes add a little powdered bouillon and maybe a tiny dash of Tamari.

Sautee onion and a couple of cloves of garlic, add peeled shrimps and a cut up mango. Keep sauteeing a little and then add some torn up leaves from a Romain lettuce and sautee until the leaves are limp, about two minutes. A salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Serve on a mound of brown rice. This is a beautiful dish to look at; the pink of the shrimps, the orange of the mango and the green of the lettuce,
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Borg69 Wrote:I've seen (but not eaten) some breaded, fried, sliced eggplant made into "hamburger patties" for a veggie burger. Are you brave enough to try that???

No...eggplant does a weird thing to my mouth and there is something about it where my throat closes up and gags...same with squash.

I have tried veggie burgers though a lot and most have been tasty...I like it when I can taste peppers. I eat peppers raw a lot...like fruit.