Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetables available?
TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I have seen Moringa Oleifera sold as an herbal supplement, but you won't find it in grocery stores/supermarkets, nor the Turkey Berry either.

Turkey Berry (known where I'm from as Prickly Nightshade) and can be found occasionally in Florida, from what I understand. Not sold, but growing as a weed. Because of its rapid spread as a weed, it's federally prohibited from being cultivated.

I was under the impression Nightshade was extremely toxic/poisonous ?? ... and yes... a weed on the West Coast.

Borg69 Wrote:I was under the impression Nightshade was extremely toxic/poisonous ?? ... and yes... a weed on the West Coast.

Deadly Nightshade (Atropa belladonna) is poisonous, although has been known to be used in very small doses as a pain reliever, muscle relaxer, and anti-inflammatory. It has also been used to treat menstrual problems, peptic ulcer disease, histaminic reaction, and motion sickness. Like with all poisonous plants, in the right hands they have their uses.

Prickly Nightshade (Solanum torvum) is not poisonous and is popular in certain areas of the world (Malaysia, India, Southern Asia, Pacific Islands, etc) and sold as a vegetable.

Wow. Thanks for the info!!! I think either way, I'll just avoid Nightshade in any of it's forms. Wink

... Just to be safe.

Borg69 Wrote:Wow. Thanks for the info!!! I think either way, I'll just avoid Nightshade in any of it's forms. Wink

... Just to be safe.

Some nightshades: potato, eggplant, peppers, tomato, tomatillo.

Oooook... then I'll avoid most nightshades. Smile

When tomatoes first reached Europe they were grown as an ornamental plant and believed to be poisonous. Then for a while Europeans believed they were only poisonous if eaten raw, but safe if cooked. Then finally after some time, they understood they were not only safe to eat raw too, but really delicious!

i'd try them if they sold them, I love exotic foods.

as far as im aware - they are not available in uk , not in supermarkets anyway = but im happy to be proved wrong

You cannot even buy these at our Asian market here.