Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetables
LONDONER Wrote:Par boil cauliflower and broccoli florettes in salt water until [B]al dente[/B]. Transfer to a casserole, top with halved cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with dill, add fresh ground black pepper and bake in the oven. Finish off under the grill for a few minutes.

THIS is why I don't cook much. You have to boil, bake, AND grill this???

Pick ONE! Smile

Borg69 Wrote:THIS is why I don't cook much. You have to boil, bake, AND grill this???

Pick ONE! Smile

Well, you could try just shoving them in the oven without par boiling them but the results won't be very good. You don't have to grill them if you don't want to, it's just an added touch.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:Well, you could try just shoving them in the oven without par boiling them but the results won't be very good. You don't have to grill them if you don't want to, it's just an added touch.

LOL I'm just being a little facetious with my aggravation towards foods you have to cook more than once... Twice baked potatoes, Mac-n-Cheeze/casseroles you prepare on the stove, and then have to bake, meat you have to seer before you bake, re-fried beans, ...

I'm MUCH more simple than that in the kitchen and still lucky if I get it close to right using ONE appliance/method to cook it with.

FOOD + Heat source = Dinner. Anything more than that is chemistry equations/science, NOT "cooking", IMO. Wink

I grill or boil everything. Smile

Some veggies are much nicer mushy. Potatoes for one, pumpkin for seconds... But I agree that many others can go unmushed... even the prosaically over cooked Brussel sprouts should not be so.
I got my nephew to eat 4 of them at Christmas, the way we cook them, they are perfect.

Asparagus is your favorite? Lucky man. I am a freak for the stuff. Toss lightly in a few drops of olive oil and grill quickly. Godly fare!

Remember that the Romans, when encouraging speed, would say, "Do it in less time than it takes to cook asparagus."

Also, google a recipe for Greek potatoes which are roasted with olive oil, oregano and garlic. Good!
I bid NO Trump!

Borg69 Wrote:LOL I'm just being a little facetious with my aggravation towards foods you have to cook more than once... Twice baked potatoes, Mac-n-Cheeze/casseroles you prepare on the stove, and then have to bake, meat you have to seer before you bake, re-fried beans, ...

I'm MUCH more simple than that in the kitchen and still lucky if I get it close to right using ONE appliance/method to cook it with.

FOOD + Heat source = Dinner. Anything more than that is chemistry equations/science, NOT "cooking", IMO. Wink

I grill or boil everything. Smile

You almost put me off posting more recipes. I have a favourite one, the first macrobiotic dish I ever prepared. I might post it in the next day or so.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:You almost put me off posting more recipes. I have a favourite one, the first macrobiotic dish I ever prepared. I might post it in the next day or so.

Pay no attention to the grumpy old fart who hates preparing food. Frog