Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venting about kids
Oh come on, focusing on that part in particular? I just had a hard time imagining you thinking that due to lots of circumstantial stuff. I didn't mean to imply anything with it. That sentence was probably the least substantial one in my post yet ironically it was the only one to receive any form of attention Oh well. Agree to disagree for once? :3
We're way too stubborn in any case and it'd take a miracle for either of us to walk out of this not thinking the other one is completely wrong.

Although I can't help but think that calling people cunts is slightly more disrespectful. Not that it matters anymore.

For what it's worth I thought I'd share something from personal experience at experiencing corporal punishment having lived with the 'rents and having lived with Granny:

With Granny I was never spanked or whipped without knowing the consequences (even with toddlers she'll give the warning, "I'll spank" before she does it), never in anger, and always trying to be fair and understanding. There was never any question that she loved me and it was consistent, not arbitrary. It usually wasn't necessary because I wanted her to be pleased with me in the first place, her disappointment hurt far more than her hand or belt ever could.

With the 'rents it was done in anger, random, delivered with hurtful words, and their being utter hypocrites who wanted me to do as they say and not as they do made me hold them in contempt. And though I might fear the consequences I didn't seek to please them as I did Granny, and I was more about not getting caught rather than following any rules as though I might fear the consequences I had NO respect for them and their authority beyond that, and I can't recall ever thinking, "I brought that on myself" (even when I knew it was a potential consequence as I figured they'd have done the same in my place), and can sympathize with Matilda here:

The character of the one delivering the discipline along with when and how it's delivered make a HUGE difference in my experience.

I think (at least in my nephews case) that he has learned that my sister's threats are empty and that she isn't going to spank him no matter what. The fact that he no longer listens to her seems to have lead my mom to believe that he is almost deaf instead of the fact that he is just a brat.