Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteering - gay pride
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm newly out and it's all kinda new to me. I signed up to volunteer at my local pride festival in a few months. Problem is that they didn't have any description of the things I would be doing but I still wanted to do it so I did. Yay. Question is, what are the different things they could have me doing? Anyone have any ideas? I'm very curious and nervous.

They'll probably have you at a booth passing out HIV/AIDS awareness and condoms for starters.

Don't be nervous, you're going to have a lot of fun! :tongue:

So, last year was my first year going to my local pride festival. My school had a booth and some of the stuff we did was load the van with stuff (pamphlets with school info, pamphets about the LGBT Center, T-shirts, backpacks, bumper stickers, pens that kind of stuff). We worked, I think it was 4-hour shifts, in the booth and then we walked around in groups of 4 talking to the teens there about school. We were also "volunteered" to be one of the beach volleyball teams -- which ended up being a lot of fun!!! Wink

Everyone is friendly and ours was more "family friendly" with alcohol being sold in a certain area. They had people handing out buttons, maps of the setup/vendors, yes, condoms :biggrin:, and just being helpers with directions. There was a dedication canopy where a few local ministers were performing commitment ceremonies, and they had people handing out flowers to the couples.

Have fun and I hope you give us an update. Confusedmile:

colourblindguy Wrote:They'll probably have you at a booth passing out HIV/AIDS awareness and condoms for starters.

Or hugs...

I actually donated about $150.00 on the hug booth one year. I'm needy - but in a good way!

You make it sound like a lot of fun Sad The first Prague parade was the last year. I missed it.

Im certain youll have fun and probably something easy since youre new

Last June was the first time I ever went to a pridefest (I'd wanted to go for probably a good 10 years much was much too afraid)...can say it was pretty cool to go Smile (then I went to a 2nd one in August)
I didn't volunteer or anything in either case, just went...

To give you some ideas on what your local GLBT center might have volunteers do, here's a link to the Colorado one's pride volunteer page: http://glbtcolorado.org/PrideFest_Volunteer.aspx

I was forced to pour beer in a tent for the nightclub once or twice...I tried to volunteer to bartend in the bar during the event every year so I would not have to attend pride. I despise it. Gay Pride Parade is not my thing.