Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF???? Heightened Senses......
Has anyone ever experience a sudden heightened sense of smell?

It is freaky...today I have been having really bad reactions to smokers and people who don't bathe...it is permeating my nostrils and causing me a lot of distress....

This has never happened to me before.

One thing I should note...I really HATED when I quit drinking and hanging around other alcoholics who complained about other people drinking because it isn't and should never be about other people...and so I stopped hanging around alcoholics and just embraced my drinking friends as I always had.....no way was I gonna distance myself from them or judge them as was suggested to me. My disease was about me...not anyone else.

...and so when I quit smoking I made myself a promise never to bitch about smokers...I already KNOW how a lot of them feel...been there... and bitching to them is not going to help anyone.....

I made sure when I quit after awhile I asked a few friends to blow smoke in my face to make sure I didn't turn in to a smoking Nazi...and I didn't. It doesn't bother me at all when someone smokes...but NOW...today...I want to hold my nose.....I can smell the odor on their clothes...

My question...has anyone else experienced this heightened sense of smell?...and if so...does it go away? It is actually kinda severe today...I don't like it at all.....

East, you might want to get this checked by a doctor, because I hope it is not a sign of anything bad going on... I'd worry more if you lost the sense of smell, but... something that changes like that could be a health problem. Have it checked, especially if it is causing you trouble.
Take care,
PA

Hey East, I noticed this about myself today also! I usually get this way when the weather gets cool and crisp such as the case in our area today. When this happens to me , it last a day or two and goes back to normal. What is real strange to me is although I am a smoker (yea yea I know heard it all) I have always had a very high sense of smell but it has gone up a notch or two in the last day.
I can EXPLAIN it to you but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you
Spoiler:
!

CarGuy65 Wrote:Hey East, I noticed this about myself today also! I usually get this way when the weather gets cool and crisp such as the case in our area today. When this happens to me , it last a day or two and goes back to normal. What is real strange to me is although I am a smoker (yea yea I know heard it all) I have always had a very high sense of smell but it has gone up a notch or two in the last day.

WOW...that is odd as we are so close geographically to each other.....I am in Gilroy today....I wonder if it is something in the air?

Could just be something in the air....Mdance2

princealbertofb Wrote:Could just be something in the air....Mdance2

Yeah...when I googled it they mentioned it might be environmental and so when CarGuy mentioned it...and he is closest of anyone to me geographically.....I started wondering...

My sinuses have been draining like crazy starting yesterday - always happens then the air pressure goes up or down.

We in California have been under a steady high pressure for a very long time (thus the drought). the sudden change in air pressure can open up nasal cavity and sinuses leading to us being more aware of scents and other things.

If it persists for more than a week see your doctor. As it could also be a symptom of something else.

But with the recent change in weather and high pressure zone moving (finally) would strike up to that.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:My sinuses have been draining like crazy starting yesterday - always happens then the air pressure goes up or down.

We in California have been under a steady high pressure for a very long time (thus the drought). the sudden change in air pressure can open up nasal cavity and sinuses leading to us being more aware of scents and other things.

If it persists for more than a week see your doctor. As it could also be a symptom of something else.

But with the recent change in weather and high pressure zone moving (finally) would strike up to that.

Thanks! Another NorCal boy...three for three...my sinuses were draining too yesterday and today....the smell thing....

Oh look - Rain!

Expect California to smell really strange as all the dust gets knocked out of the sky.

Not today, but I have had it happen to almost all my senses before, at the same time. It's weird: my sense of smell, hearing, and general alertness to my environment goes way up during those moments, and lasts about half a day. It's like my spidey senses are tingling.