Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Captain Bligh really the jerk he's been made out to be?
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read...eir-mutiny

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]No he was not, in fact by the standards of the time a compassionate commander, who gave great consideration for his crew's health and well-being.

Captain William Bligh was given orders to sail to Tahiti to collect bread fruit trees these were to be for the slaves in the Caribbean has a cheap food supply. It was the five-month delay in Tahiti as they had to wait for the breadfruit trees to mature enough to transport. Over this period, naval discipline began to break down as the crew took native wives and enjoyed the island's warm sun. At one point, three crewmen attempted to desert but were captured. Though they were punished, it was less severe than recommended. In addition to the behaviour of the crew, several of the senior warrant officers, such as the boatswain and sail maker were negligent in their duties. If Bligh had been a tyrant or a more strict disciplinarian, it would be doubtful if the crew would have been allowed to get away with the things they did.

Furthermore, Five years later, Bligh was promoted to captain and given command of 'HMS Director'. While aboard, his crew mutinied as part of the greater Spithead and Nore mutinies which occurred over the Royal Navy's handling of pay and prize money. Standing by his crew, Bligh was commended by both sides for his handling of the situation. In October of that year, Bligh commanded Director at the Battle of Camperdown and successfully fought three Dutch ships at once. So no he was a fine officer and commander, and human being.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Who is capt bligh?? I thought for a moment u were on about the cruise liner that sank lol

how many bounty movies are there?

i have book cochrane the real master and comander

zeon Wrote:Who is capt bligh?? I thought for a moment u were on about the cruise liner that sank lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bounty

Considering that most of his crew were hardened criminals , I think he was rather soft on them.
The man was a brilliant navigator, and he was very respected in his field.