Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watercolour painting
artyboy Wrote:Best thing to do first is getting some good quality paper, 120 weight is best at first. Oh and bigger the size the paper the better, that's what my tutors used to say at art school lol

Thanks for the tip

Justme Wrote:I've tried ink and loved it! It's easier to control than water color imo. It has almost the same effect as watercolor though.

I only ever used India ink, so bluey black. I like using graphics pens more then a paint brush when using ink.

One I didn't like using was oil paint, never dries properly.

artyboy Wrote:Best thing to do first is getting some good quality paper, 120 weight is best at first. Oh and bigger the size the paper the better, that's what my tutors used to say at art school lol
So true! I found that out the hard way when the ink bled over my original drawing some years ago. I was pissed.
I use India ink too. I prefer the brush because I usually use it for larger artwork

Hey, I just painted the nursery walls for my soon to be born neice - I even stenciled kid stuff in places!

But seriously, I recently saw an exhibit of watercolors by a guy named John Singer Sargent at the MFA, and it was amazing. There was a soft, almost mystical quality to his work, but it was also precisely rendered. My cousin Celeste that I went with used the word exquisite.

I never thought about the differences between oils and watercolors before, but it's pretty interesting. I have NO artistic talemt, my 4 year old nephew can draw better, but I enjoy learning about art.

I use watercolors almost for sketching and doodle mixed with inks etc, but I'd like to try something more serious one day. I used to use acrylics for school and more recently I did few works with oils, but I must restart.

I always found watercolours a difficult medium to work with. I tended to stick with acrylics usually, they were more suited to my messy handiwork. Tried oils a couple of times too but they didn't work well for me either.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

Just tried to paint a little fanart, the drawing was ok but then, with watercolors I did a mess! Munky
Not easy...