Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are being spied upon by the HDD in our PCs
And apparently we are powerless to do anything about it.

http://betanews.com/2015/02/16/worldwide...rd-drives/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Well, no surprises there.

Maybe this will be the answer to the dilemma of the future protection of all the pics and research on my computer....the NSA already has it.

I'm not sure that Betanews is the most trusted source for news though....the article reads like it was written for foil hat wearers.

Reuters reports it too.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/1...QV20150216

^ hmmmmm. I thought though that this had been discovered last year and reported? I wonder what makes it news today?

I can't for a minute believe that all the manufacturers of hardware haven't been co-opted by various governments in order to provide the capacity for spying and data gathering.

I'm puzzled though that only 30 PC's have been found to be infected. Seriously? This doesn't sound like baked in technology targeting the masses????

Rareboy Wrote:I'm puzzled though that only 30 PC's have been found to be infected. Seriously? This doesn't sound like baked in technology targeting the masses????

where did you read about 30 PC-s?

i read:

Quote:Kaspersky said it found personal computers in 30 countries infected with one or more of the spying programs, with the most infections seen in Iran, followed by Russia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Mali, Syria, Yemen and Algeria. The targets included government and military institutions, telecommunication companies, banks, energy companies, nuclear researchers, media, and Islamic activists, Kaspersky said.

And this is why I do all of my complex dirty bomb calculations with the slide rule and NOT my computer.

Ars Technica explains how it's done:

how-omnipotent-hackers-tied-to-the-nsa-hid-for-14-years-and-were-found-at-last/

Back in the late 90s I assumed the next big war would be fought in cyberspace....I still think so

I also knew they would use technology to pretty much invade our privacy...and they have...and they aren't done yet...

Way too many of us assume that it is just the "evildoers" who are being tracked LOL....or that if we aren't "doing anything wrong" we have nothing to worry about....wrong...on both counts...

The best defense...pick your battles carefully. You will not win most of them...maybe none...and so many of the ships have already sailed it is a waste of time and energy to worry about them.

Look what happened to Edward Snowden....

My defense...I try not to drink too much of the koolaid...it's not much but it is better than any other livable solution I can think of.

Rareboy Wrote:^ hmmmmm. I thought though that this had been discovered last year and reported? I wonder what makes it news today?

I can't for a minute believe that all the manufacturers of hardware haven't been co-opted by various governments in order to provide the capacity for spying and data gathering.

I'm puzzled though that only 30 PC's have been found to be infected. Seriously? This doesn't sound like baked in technology targeting the masses????

The NSA tracking our conversations, Google searches, amazon purchases, Facebook posts (and friends lists), Phone calls, on line banking, and e-mail is one thing, but to physically snoop through our hard drives is kinda new news... I think.

LONDONER Wrote:And apparently we are powerless to do anything about it.

http://betanews.com/2015/02/16/worldwide...rd-drives/

Nothing to hide here, just don't leave any mess as you browse you bastards. Remybussi
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart