Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"We are of peace, always..."
So said Anna, the leader of the Alien visitors when they came to earth on UK TV screens on Monday evening.

I'm talking, of course, about the new revamped remake of the original "V" screened for the first time in the U.S. in 1983 and 1984 in the UK.

I remember it well. I was spellbound by it and in fact it was what began my so far life-long journey in to fandom of Sci-Fi... sensible sci-fi that is. Yeah, I'd seen the Star Wars movies and sat through more episodes and feature length screenings of Battle Star Galactica than was probably good for me, but they never featured much if at all in my kid fantasy.

When "V" hit the screens in 1984 I was a confirmed fan and recorded EVERY episode for about a week or was it a fortnight on VHS! (Anyone remember VHS!!!) I've lost most of the tapes (Yes, tapes!) great big plastic hulking things with spools that you could repair with any old self adhesive tape if the video tape its self came to grief, and although you weren't able to record anything on to that portion of the repair there was only ever a few moments of bad tracking to contend with ("Tracking"... erm... Oh google it!).

I think I still have at least one old tape lying about but my VCR is no longer hooked up to anything and now with digital TV in most areas of the UK, VCR's are only good for recording what you're actually watching or playing stuff not already digitally backed up.

So... an altogether slower though similar plot and radical changes to the configuration of the Mother Ships and Shuttles - probably to take account of progression of technology in screen resolution etc. Back before 50cm+ plasma wide screen, HD all singing all dancing TV's a bog standard saucer was all you needed and all you had. "Eeeee, when I were a lad, I went down 't' shops fo' me mam" LOL.

I'm getting lost in 80's nostalgia now! I better stop before I accidentally disclose that I was into BROs and once went... D'oh!

SO yeah, very much liking the new series/season of "V".

Anyone else?

What about Science Fiction in general, what do others have a fondness for? Personally I'm a huge fan of Star Trek O.S,. T.N.G., D.S.9. (ish), Voyager and Enterprise as well as Babylon 5 AKA "Diet Star Trek", Doctor Who is a little more interesting these days but I don't feel bereft if I miss an episode.

Of course I'd do Matt Smith for a quid!:tongue:Wow

I never saw V, starting to regret that now. Of course I like Star Trek, DS9's my favourite as they gave it more of an ongoing purpose, with TNG second. Star Wars: okish, a few good moments (even if the most memorable moment wouldn't seem out of place in Eastenders).
Finally, I love Doctor Who! David Tennant was brilliant, comparable to Tom Baker, and Steven Moffat is one of the best writers ever. Matt Smith had a wowing (is that a word? It should be) first series.

Beam me up Scotty!
Scatter

I watched the pilot episode of the revamped V, it didn't strike me as something that i would watch on a weekly basis. Also my sci-fi TV schedule is full right now with SG.U and Caprica.

I'll give anything sci-fi a fair go. Yes, I was a V addict in the 80s (who couldn't love anyone called Willie, even if it turned out to be Robert Englund)? Star Trek - TNG is my favourite of that franchise (I may have mentioned somewhere that Patrick Stewart could read Chaucer to me any time he likes ... sorry, pause for a private moment there :redface: ) although Chakotay in STV is the stuff wet dreams are made of.

I consider myself lucky to be old enough to have seen every episode of Dr Who since William Hartnell first landed in a scrap yard.

I collected masses of DC comics in the 60s, first read HG Wells when I was twelve (The Time Machine) and never got over it. Sci-fi ... definitely. Xyxthumbs

Yowser, I am a fan of 'Fringe' right now, I just love the thought they have invested into making this series. I often get angry when I have to wait another week to see the other episode. I go scrummaging the internet for early releases, often times with no luck. But, I love my classics as well, anyone remember the X-Files? Love it! Yeah Star trek was okay, I thought Battlestar Galactica was more kick ass.

P.S. Stargate, was my haven, and nurturer!

I swear my body activated some kind of primal "stalker gene" when Scot Bakula & Charles "Trip" Tucker did those underwear scenes in the Star Trek Enterprise series.:biggrin:

[IMG][Image: TripTucker.jpg][/IMG]

I forgot about Stargate!

Vigilias Wrote:I forgot about Stargate!

Same!

Gotta love Stargate, though SGU hasn't really gotten going, SGA and plain SG were great!

What no mention of Babylon 5 or Lexx, even Buck Rodgers is missing from the list of sci-fi TV.

[Image: UFO.gif]
Another series on the box during the late 60's was The Invaders, alien beings from a dying planet. Their destination: the Earth. Their purpose: to make it their world. David Vincent has seen them. For him, it began one lost night on a lonely country road, looking for a shortcut that he never found. It began with a closed deserted diner, and a man too long without sleep to continue his journey. It began with the landing of a craft from another galaxy. Now David Vincent knows that the Invaders are here, that they have taken human form. Somehow he must convince a disbelieving world that the nightmare has already begun.

Original run from January 10, 1967 – March 26, 1968. An Quinn Martin Production.

And another was UFO, a British television science fiction series created by Gerry Anderson and Sylvia Anderson with Reg Hill, and produced by the Andersons and Lew Grade's Century 21 Productions for Grade's ITC Entertainment company. The Andersons had previously made a number of very successful marionette-based children's science fiction series including Stingray, Thunderbirds, and Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. They had also made one live-action science fiction movie, Doppelgänger, also known as Journey to the Far Side of the Sun, and now felt ready to move into live-action television and aim at a more adult market.

UFO was the Andersons' first totally live-action TV series. Despite the assumption of many TV station executives, the series was not aimed at children but deliberately sought an older audience; many episodes featured adult themes such as adultery, divorce, and drug use. Most of the cast were newcomers to Century 21 although star Ed Bishop had previously worked with the Andersons as a voice actor on Captain Scarlet and The Mysterons.

UFO first aired in the UK and Canada in 1970 and in US syndication over the next two years. In all, 26 episodes, including the pilot, were filmed over the course of more than a year, with a five-month production break caused by the ultimate closure of the MGM-British Studios in Borehamwood, where the show was initially made.

Some now seem very dated but were fun to watch then and now younger generations are discovering these classic gems.

I remember watching "Lost In Space" when I was a youngster. The series ran from 1965 to 1968.

It was better than Popeye!!!!