Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webcam Help
A friend of mine in the USA wants to show me his family via a webcam on AIM. He has a cam and I don't. He can start a session with all his family present but all I see is a black box. It then says I don't have a cam and ends the session. Anyone know the answer? Don't forget this is on AIM.

I don't use AIM myself so I don't know how it works but if it is like the others it shoudl work regardless of is you have a cam or not.

I'd suggest try it on MSN (and tell your friend to download MSN if he don't have it) and if there's still problems, then it'd be time to start working out things.

AIM is AOL - and I've never been an AOL fan!

I've got to agree with both Wouldlikemuscle AND Ardus. I would hypothesise that you've been trying to start a cam session with them, rather than waiting for you to invite you into THEIR cam session ... that would account for the error message.

On MSN, for example, if I turned on my webcam, it would send you an invitation to start viewing it - that you don't have a webcam is irrelevant in that situation ...

Cheers Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

shadow Wrote:I've got to agree with both Wouldlikemuscle AND Ardus. I would hypothesise that you've been trying to start a cam session with them, rather than waiting for you to invite you into THEIR cam session ... that would account for the error message.

On MSN, for example, if I turned on my webcam, it would send you an invitation to start viewing it - that you don't have a webcam is irrelevant in that situation ...

Cheers Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

No. This the queer thing. He has apparently got a built-in webcam in his laptop. When HE tries to start a session it tells HIM he has no webcam.

Oh RIGHT !!

Sorry - I misunderstood ...

Has he screwed over his drivers ?? Reformatted the HDD ?? Installed a third-party piece of software that's either attempted to update or overwrite the webcam ? Something like that ??

It could, conversely, be as simple as his having failed to select the right options within AIM to patch it through to his webcam ... sometimes chat programs come with wizards to help you marry up the chat program itself, with whatever webcam you have installed ...

Maybe, for example, AIM is looking for USB-connected devices, whereas his is integral ...

Worth looking into xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!