Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird folk music
So lately I've been getting into some really bizarre but beautiful folk records. Josephine Foster's 'Hazel Eyes I Will Lead You' is now one of my all-time favourite albums, mainly because her vocal work is bizarre but very effective and the instrumentation/lyrics are insanely addictive yet simple.

I've also encountered an album called 'First Utterance' by Comus which I hated at first, but upon repeated listens I'm growing to like it more and more. I'm debating whether to actually buy it at the moment.

Lastly, I just found an album called 'Orgasm' by this weird, really obscure band called Cromagnon that only released one album. It's too un-melodic (if that's even a word) for me but I'm completely shocked that something so seriously fucked up and bizarre was released in the 60's. It goes way beyond the strangest psychedelic records I've ever heard.

I was kind of wondering if anyone else is into this particular kind of music and if they have any recommendations. Preferably older titles (60's and onwards), but newer releases are fine by all means. I'm keeping the definition of 'weird' open to interpretation but I guess "Stuff that REALLY sticks out from its respective era" is a good criteria. In other words, no Devendra.

any chance of posting any of these artists if they are on youtube for example ?? the earliest folk stuff for me is mark bolan , his very early stuff is great but Im guessing you prefer female singers, this is nice though

Yeah, sure, I can post some links.

Josephine Foster

I think this is my favourite track.

This is what I mean by bizarre vocals.

This is the entire album by Comus. It's really weird but still accessible and I'm liking it more and more with every listen.

If you want to hear the most fucked up album of the bunch (Orgasm by Cromagnon) you can just search on Youtube for it. I can't say I care for it much though, other than beling a little amused/fascinated.

You talking about this group??

Sounds like the beginnings of thrash metal.

I find the Comus more appealing to me,, Josephine has a great vocal range ,, the last notes of your fave track was immense ,,I prefer the comus album though because they are pushing the envelope more of the time ,, they are way out there..but its great to have bands that push further than mainstream just to see what can be done ,,,thx for sharing

I dont know if this is "weird", but here is some of Hank Williams Sr. early works, which are considered country folk music....

Here is a couple of my grannys favorites--

MisterTinkles Wrote:You talking about this group??

Sounds like the beginnings of thrash metal.

They have been credited with lots of things, containing early elements of metal is one of them. I can appreciate how edgy and completely unique the record it is, but I need a balance between unique and enjoyable and it sort of lacks the latter quality for me.

matty7 Wrote:I find the Comus more appealing to me,, Josephine has a great vocal range ,, the last notes of your fave track was immense ,,I prefer the comus album though because they are pushing the envelope more of the time ,, they are way out there..but its great to have bands that push further than mainstream just to see what can be done ,,,thx for sharing

I've listened to the Josephine Foster album over 30 times since I discovered it. I haven't really familiarized myself with Comus so I can't say for sure which I like better. It sure is pushing the envelope though. I like how some moments are just calm and beautiful even though the subject matter touches on themes like rape and murder. Also, it's so frenetic at times, I wonder if they improvised some sections.

Oh, I thought of another example of a strange folk musician I discovered recently and plan to explore more thoroughly. Exuma!