Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, it's not all good news :-(
In the euphoria over yesterday's election has anyone noticed that California has pushed through "Proposition 8", which once more makes it illegal for same-sex couples to marry?

There is something wrong with a system that declares that the will of a bigoted majority can can have such a devastating effect on an effectively disenfranchised minority.

Whether same-sex couples choose to marry or not has no effect whatsoever on the lives of straight people. Since it's nothing to do with them the decision should not be theirs to make. I guess Californian couples will have their marriages annulled ... again! Bad show :frown:

California votes to ban gay marriage - Times Online

Amendment 2 and Proposition 102 were passed in Florida and Arizona respectively, to amend state constitutions to make doubly sure gay marriage was illegal. That after Arizona rejected a similar prposal a few years ago, first and only time a popular vote did not support such a thing.

On the bright side, California's extensive domestic partnership laws remain intact.

It is going to take a national amendment to the constitution just as all civil rights over here has taken to make change... Obama may get it done... maybe not in his first term but second... fingers crossed

fjp999 Wrote:It is going to take a national amendment to the constitution just as all civil rights over here has taken to make change... Obama may get it done... maybe not in his first term but second... fingers crossed

Amending the US Constitution is, by design, a very tough and lengthy task. Pushing through and amendment would use up an awful lot of Presidential time and political capital. Many Americans would think that 'forcing the states to accept' gay marriage is not something the President should be doing, many more would think that he should be concentrating on other priorities. Bottom line he would lose a lot of support for such a move. If the president were to officially support such a move but not actively use his political capital to drive it through I don't see it going anywhere. Conclusion: I really don't think the Constitution will be amended any time soon in favour of gay marriage.

I think that gay marriage will be a state by state affair for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for that extra information. Let's wish our American brothers and sisters some good luck in this regard.

Sometimes the law has to take a lead in showing people how to act more humanely.

marshlander Wrote:In the euphoria over yesterday's election has anyone noticed that California has pushed through "Proposition 8", which once more makes it illegal for same-sex couples to marry?

dont know if anyone has noticed but our brothers and sisters are demonstrating in the streets of California! Wish I was there - but am there in spirit... some arrests have been made! Police are using their clubs on people who are just dreaming of marrying their love!

TwakPersonally I hold USA responsible for all the evil in the world and 50% of the good. American voters, more than half of them dont know what vote or stand for. When it comes to religious voters is even worse , they preach love and acceptance for every one and then they get peoples rights away. Twak

Idiocy holds strong in US. If there is one hypocrite society that's it.
2 words: Dark ages!

fjp999 Wrote:dont know if anyone has noticed but our brothers and sisters are demonstrating in the streets of California! Wish I was there - but am there in spirit... some arrests have been made! Police are using their clubs on people who are just dreaming of marrying their love!
Like, you, Frank, I'd be out there too.

Here's a link to more news about this

Thousands Join Marriage Equality Protest at L.A. Mormon Church - Towleroad, More than gay news for more gay men

Particularly interesting to see that much of the protest has focussed on the intervention of the LDS church.

marshlander Wrote:California votes to ban gay marriage - Times Online

I had seen that as well, else where.......

so sad

I kinda agree with SS

Dark Ages indeed

xxx

spotysocks Wrote:TwakPersonally I hold USA responsible for all the evil in the world and 50% of the good. American voters, more than half of them dont know what vote or stand for. When it comes to religious voters is even worse , they preach love and acceptance for every one and then they get peoples rights away. Twak

Idiocy holds strong in US. If there is one hypocrite society that's it.
2 words: Dark ages!

I am guessing some of this is in jest Lol2 but kinda difficult to tell??? I am certainly not an American apologist - far from it BUT

did a quick google on voter turnout and though USA is not very good the British turnout is not much better! Research was done on British who did not turn out to vote and the answers given seem to be about the same as in the USA.

My fav channel over here is called C-SPAN which shows our government live & unfiltered without any commercials. When the gov is not in session the two channels cover various political events including Prime Ministers Questioning (I think that is what it is called)... Election nite coverage and the day after covered international news programming. I found a program from the BBC News which asked when you all would elect a black Prime Minister. It didnt seem very likely from the people interviewed. Seems that minorities in Parliament is pretty low - Vaz for more ethnic minorities in British parliament - TheIndianStar.com "Vaz is one of only 14 ethnic minority MPs in a parliament with 646 seats. According to the last census taken in 2001, some seven percent of Britain's 60-million population are ethnic minorities, which would translate to more than 45 parliamentary seats."

*lame attempt at humor: Not sure what qualifies as the Dark Ages but at least the USA did away with YOUR Royal family a LONG time ago Party