Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wen Dings Abund Bie!
So here's some view into how Bermudians actually are and not how we are portrayed...

A look into our Cup Match festivities [August 1-2, extra if it rains]

Our Gombeys. This is from our West Indian and African roots from slavery times and is a very proud part of our Culture. Only Men can be Gombeys and they dance pretty much every and anywhere...and no one can see their faces, although we tend to know who they are if we are related to one of them.

Harbour(Pronounced Hahbah) Nights - Every Wednesday on Front St. From 7 to 10pm Wink

There's a legend he's been alive forever, cause he's been around since most people here were kids, even my Nana was a Teenager when she saw him for the first time and she's 55 now(that's a joke lol). Our Local Legend; Johnny Barnes.

And here's all that in a "posh" format...everything but the Bermuda Shorts is pretty much on point, although she forgot some important stuff and no that's not how we sound, she talks like that to be understood.

There my Non-Islander peeps! A somewhat good inside look on our lifestyle/cultcha Wink .

I love it soo much, I could talk about it for dayz lol...infact... Sheep

new that posts was your Sylph - basically cos I couldn't say it lol , teach me one day tiger - looking forward to the vids in a minute or 5

matty7 Wrote:new that posts was your Sylph - basically cos I couldn't say it lol , teach me one day tiger - looking forward to the vids in a minute or 5

Tehe. Bermudian Speech translates based on Vocalizations alot.

"Wen Ding Abund Bie!" = When/Where things happen to dudes!
"Wen Dings Abund Bie..." =When's that thing gonna happen man(pronounced Men)?
"Wen Dings Abund Bie?" = Where/When things are gonna happen to Son?

All about inflection I suppose. We speak English Backwards alot (my personal belief of Jamaican influence) and so many phrases and words can mean multiple things, such as;

Hair/Here/Hear = are all pronounced as "Hur" and can be understood from the speakers inflection or directive speech.

"Look, um hur kay?" = Look, I'm here, okay?"
"Look, um got my hur done" = Look, I've gotten my Hair done.
"Look Buh, I can hur ya" = Look(buh is a vocal epithet, similar to Canadian's "Eh"), I can Hear you.

And besides the 2nd one, they can have alternate meaning depending on the situation and the direction they're spoken in;

"Look, um hur kay?" = can mean "I understand" or "Alright, I get it"
Depending on how it's said and the situation ;3

It's actually pretty easy, I can extrapolate ^o^

[Image: original.jpg]

MisterTinkles Wrote:[Image: original.jpg]

Actually Asshol--I mean...Tinkies Winkie, it's pronounced here; "wha ya tawkin bout Villis!"
And if I'm being lazy, Whayachatboutvillis

Wink

Give me a sentence and I can translate it, with my Bermy Phonetics(which can be found no where else and are a blend of Elizabethean and Old American english Phonetics - making them(Bermy) the oldest kind, with Carribean phonetics, vocalizations and pronounciations- ultimately making us sound implacable) and all.

.....yeah, we're tiny, but we rock Wink lol...no pun intended