Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuff going on in Libya

Marshy, their air-base, their rules, their laws. It's not an occupying force, we can ask them to leave.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Marshy, their air-base, their rules, their laws. It's not an occupying force, we can ask them to leave.
I did, but they didn't.

fredv3b Wrote:So were they saying the President's orders were unwarranted or just commenting on further intervention.

I had assumed the latter, but had neglected to make that clear.

The Pentagon was stating that enforcing a no-fly zone in Libya would not be in American interest from the outset. The State Department, under Secretary of State Hillary Clinton; the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice; and the White House were pushing for intervention in the matter. Furthermore, Congressional Republicans were pushing for intervention . . . until President Obama included the United States in the intervention. Then, Congressional Republicans were upset that the President did not get their permission for the intervention. Got to love American Politics. It's like a never ending root-canal and colonoscopy all rolled into one.

So I tried reading all the posts and stuff but I reeeeally don't get politics...So I'm just gonna say that I think it's kinda really dumb to go out there in Libya and drop bombs all over the place and kill another thousand people when 10 000 just died a week ago in Japan. It's true that humans are a little too many and it is getting a little crowded, but...
We discussed it a bit in Geography class and like our teacher said, it's all about the damn oil. If they didn't have oil and other resources no one would be interested. Like nobody's interested in North Korea cause they've got nothing. Well, they have an excellent soccer team, but... And no one would head there to help those poor people. *sigh* I hate wars.

Wintereis Wrote:I don't know how the Pentagon characterizes military intervention, but personally, I would say launching tomahawk missiles into a foreign country is military intervention.

Sounds more like unfortunately accident ..... the missile-cleaner-boy has scrubbed some so heavy ( he is always very carefully ) and the first basket with dirty missiles fell into the 20 other baskets with the cleaned missiles..... and boooom ..... poor missile-cleaner-boy is relegated to the second shotgun-washer-boy Confusedmile:

Please read my previous post as to why it would be a very foolish country that tried to help the people of North Korea.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

The coalition has effectively agreed to put the mission entirely in the hands of NATO, that means they aren't interested in escalating involvement. With NATO in command of the mission, that means a bureaucratic nightmare would have to be involved in organizing an invasion. Also, the head of the NATO mission is now a Canadian general, which is a sign of the UK and US wanting to back off seeming too involved in the conflict.

OrphanPip Wrote:... a sign of the UK and US wanting to back off seeming too involved in the conflict.
A tad late for that. Whoever's in charge is unlikely to change such a perception.