Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reflections on 2020
Whenever I think of what happened in 2020, it flashes back to the day when I was sitting in McDonald's with my friend Sindy. It was the first day after the reporting that the novel coronavirus(Covid-19) could be transmitted through person to person. We were both wearing a mask, planning the next meetup. Little did we know that the outbreak should turn into a pandemic, and we didn't meet again till early April.

During self-isolation in Shanghai, the key words of media coverage have been "Covid-19". It's even more so on WeChat, where you get shocking video clips, angry posts, and disheartening photos from other members of the chat group. In retrospect, I had to admit that those unchecked information(sometimes misleading) caused more mental strain than the outbreak itself, and that was the moment when I decided to stop reading too much news and shifted my attention to other things such as reading books and playing games. It worked for a while, but still the curiosity brought me back again to the headlines. Luckily, communication is the savior. The interpersonal connections have never been more crucial than now. I know I am loved when friends send me messages, asking how I'm keeping. 

Job-wise, working from home is by no means a term I have never heard of. That said, it is still challenging as technological glitches can happen when you least expect it. Take it for me, teaching online requires more talking from my side since students generally don't want to speak on their microphones, which inevitably turns out to be a monologue. A class without face-to-face interaction is somewhat underwhelming. Disappointing as it sounds, the idea of distant education gradually grows on me, for it saves the time for commuting. With an iPad and proper teaching materials, I'm ready to go.

March marked the turning point, especially in Shanghai. Lockdown measures had been lifted step by step. While walking along the Bund, I did feel like this IS the light of the tunnel as they say. In contrast, however, Italy became the new epicenter for the virus outbreak.

Though I have never been to Italy, I find myself connected to it in every way. I made my first Italian friend while studying in Germany, then met my partner(an Italian Irish), and reconnected with my Italian godmother(another story). Because of them, I kept a close eye on what was going on in Italy. For others, the situation in Italy may serve as no more than a piece of news, but for me, it means the life and death of people I care about. 

The word "reciprocal" underlines my experience during the escalation from the outbreak in China to the pandemic worldwide. The receiving end switched to the giving end. Now it's my turn to ask about my friends how they're keeping in Europe. The stress and boredom I had during the lockdown mirrors their experience. Ironically, thanks to the self-quarantine, we have more spare time to share everyday life--sometimes my German buddy sent me videos of BTS to show me which one is her favorite and why, other times I practice Italian with my godmother. All these are nothing substantial compared to the sacrifices from the front-line medical workers, but it is the best I can do. Zooming out on a broader sense, everyone can help everyone. 

Amid the pandemic, I start to rethink what matters in life. To me, it's health, love, and money. The topic of health goes hand in hand with the issue of death. My godmother lost her auntie, who died of Covid-19. Most people feel dread when they contemplate their or others' mortality. As death has been hidden away in hospitals and nursing homes, it has become less familiar and harder to talk about. Politicians are scared to bring up this topic in case of controversy. But honest and open conversations with the fact that our beloved ones could pass away should be as much a part of modern medicine as prescribing drugs or fixing broken bones because at the end of the day, everyone loses everyone. 

Likewise, the connections with beloved ones shape who we are today. I am grateful that I have my family around. It can be depressing when you have to perform social distancing even though you can talk on the phone. The togetherness of living under the same roof, despite occasional disputes, eases the anxiety and loneliness. To say that my father is my mentor seems to be an understatement. He has been always supportive for me.

Some culture tends to denounce materialism, as it is deemed as the origin of  corruption. Yet I've never been "corrupted" by money as long as I earn it. On the contrary, I find "money" all the more useful. Money, if it does not bring us happiness, will at least help us be miserable in comfort. If not, think about the celebrities who have got tested. The unavoidable economic recession following the pandemic puts another harsh reality on the table--financial security. Without it, we won't be able to pay the bills and even enjoy just a cup of coffee at the café. 

Most schools in Shanghai will reopen on May 18th. While it has been only 3 months since the declaration of national emergency, it feels like forever. Covid-19 has fundamentally changed the way I live. I have a spare mask in my backpack just in case. I am more alert to coughs and sneezes. I wash my hands religiously. Will we ever be able to get back to where we were before? Hardly. The new normal is coming. But as long as those who I love are safe, I am grand.
[-] The following 3 members Like Alvin's post:
  • , InbetweenDreams, seeking

Thank you for the in sight into what you’ve experienced and endured. Sharing moments and feelings is what will bring people closer - and help us all learn and understand things from Covid-19.

The past few days my social group have been discussing our feelings around this whole situation as we’ve all been impacted in some way, whether it be through a furlough scheme, or self employed not getting any work, or sadly I’ve had a few friends that have had immediate family members contract this awful disease.

One thing we’ve all come to the conclusion of is that whenever restrictions do begin to lift in the UK and some sense of ease is given.. things won’t be the same again. I volunteered in work today and there was only 12 of us to organise something for the NHS but even with just 12 it was such an overwhelming feeling. Walking into work past people that don’t seem to adhere to social distancing, being conscious of those around me, this is the new normal in a world that can already be very isolating we now have to isolate further.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]
[-] The following 1 member Likes Mark's post:
  • Alvin

(04-25-2020, 12:25 AM)Mark Wrote: Thank you for the in sight into what you’ve experienced and endured. Sharing moments and feelings is what will bring people closer - and help us all learn and understand things from Covid-19.

The past few days my social group have been discussing our feelings around this whole situation as we’ve all been impacted in some way, whether it be through a furlough scheme, or self employed not getting any work, or sadly I’ve had a few friends that have had immediate family members contract this awful disease.

One thing we’ve all come to the conclusion of is that whenever restrictions do begin to lift in the UK and some sense of ease is given.. things won’t be the same again. I volunteered in work today and there was only 12 of us to organise something for the NHS but even with just 12 it was such an overwhelming feeling. Walking into work past people that don’t seem to adhere to social distancing, being conscious of those around me, this is the new normal in a world that can already be very isolating we now have to isolate further.

Respect to you and so many others for helping the NHS. Frontline medical workers are the true heroes/heroines. To me, they not only deserve the applause but also the financial reward if possible. Sorry to what happened to your friend's family members. With the total number rising and death tolls across various age groups, I have to say that virus doesn't discriminate. It can infect anyone.

Yeah, you're right about the isolation. We should be kind to one another. Better to spiritually come together by physically staying apart than indifference on both. Now we're living in the moment of history. I hope when the next-next-next-next generations read about the pandemic on the textbook. They will be proud of what we did--love and help.