Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I'm Reading Now...
I went to the Library Saturday and they had a book sale going on. So I picked up two books:

Respect for Acting by Uta Hagen

The Way of the Actor: A Path to Knowledge & Power by Brian Bates

Is anyone here into acting too besides me? Cool

I have read Respect for Acting- great book! However, Uta actually wrote a second book called A Challenge for the Actor, which she said herself is her ideas in Respect for Acting, more refined, and with additional material and tangible exercises. Consider it a second edition.

I have not read The Way of the Actor however... nor heard of Brian Bates.

Most recently I read a Liberation of the Actor by Peter Bridgemont, which was recommended to me when I asked a former teacher for reading for the summer. It's very obscure and deals with preparation, action, and completion in voice and movement for complete gestures. It takes psychological gestures to another level using the philosophies of Rudolf Steiner and Rudolf Laban (both of whom I've read and taken classes on). Ironically, Bridgemont is not a big fan of Michael Chekhov technique, which is mainly based on psychological and archetypal gestures, but the work is very similar and centered around synchronizing the breath, body, and psychological/spiritual energy. Very fascinating... albeit explained on paper very convoluted.

Ian,

Here are some "acting" books that I have found interesting:

The Camera Smart Actor by Richard Brestoff

Hi Concept Lo Tech: Theatre for Everyone in Any Place by Barbara Carlisle & Don Drapeau

The Stage & The School by Schanker & Ommanney (text book)

I buy books often used so I don't know how available these books are. But there is two more books that is NOT "acting" books but is great for actors who wish to understand the mind-body connection more: "Trances People Live" by Stephen Wolinski ..........and........."Training Trances: Multi-level Communication in Therapy and Training" by Overdurf & Silverthorn.

Much of my background is in hypnosis so I really like these books.

Enjoy!!