Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What "Term" do you prefer???
On another forum that I'm a member of, one of the guys said he was at work on Monday, and someone (a younger woman) asked this guy (who is in his late 40s) about maybe wanting to meet a woman. He replied with: "Oh, no thanks, I'm homo, and have a partner."

The younger woman replied: "That's not the right term, we say 'gay' now."

It started a discussion as to whether 'homo' is considered offensive by the younger generation.

I've made a poll and put a few options out there. Let me know what you feel.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I think it depends on how its used. Like if I said I am a homo then I am just joking around because I knwo I am gay. If my brothers call me a homo they are just messing around. but if someone said it to me to be mean then that would be different.

But I just always refer to myself as gay

I've always used the word gay, but I have no problems with saying "homo" for myself either.

BTW, I mean no offense by leaving out lesbian, bisexual, transgender......I have the options that I picked because it was a conversation between a straight woman and a gay man.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

It depends, when I'm around people I don't know I just say 'gay', but when
I'm around friends we pretty much use a bunch of terms like, fag, dyke, homo.. etc.

I personally prefer hank, but that is just me.

lesbian.

although i usually prefer people to address me by my name.

I think a thread like this was already made, although its probably closed by now.

Anywho.

Any word you can think of to name us can be used as an offensive word depending on who says it and the intention with which it is said.

Aside from that I use the word gay, mainly. Although I prefer to be referd to by my name.

I would use more often the term homosexual if it wasn't so darn long and if it didn't appear inChaddock's translation of Krafft-Ebing's "Psychopathia Sexualis", suggesting it as some form of illness.

Why label someone? We are all people and we all have names.

Gay, rarely homosexual, tend to avoid homo and fag as they come off derogatory to me.
I've seen queer used both when talking about sexuality and gender, so I feel it too broad to use.

CellarDweller Wrote:I've always used the word gay, but I have no problems with saying "homo" for myself either.

BTW, I mean no offense by leaving out lesbian, bisexual, transgender......I have the options that I picked because it was a conversation between a straight woman and a gay man.

even if the original conversation was between a gay man and a straight woman , would it really have been so difficult to add female terms when you made the poll on this site ?