Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What "Term" do you prefer???
would you prefer being called a "homo-sapien?" try using that an insult

:p

I like PP or gay. Most people here just calk me Penguin or PP! Smile

Fag or Homo or GayJosh or you majesty or kingjorsh or super gay queer fag or My kingqueen and even faggot

Arkansota Wrote:I think the words faggot and nigger are too harsh to be used by anybody except when quoting.

Words only have meanings if you let them. You can disempower them by using them. I'm a proud faggot tbh
And my nigger friend is part of black power. She's a darling :3
Her uncle has one arm and I shook his hand (luckily it was his left arm that was gone so it wasn't awkward :3)

Joshular Wrote:Words only have meanings if you let them. You can disempower them by using them. I'm a proud faggot tbh
And my nigger friend is part of black power. She's a darling :3
Her uncle has one arm and I shook his hand (luckily it was his left arm that was gone so it wasn't awkward :3)

That's true. Friends and I call each other faggots as a joke( when no one is around ofc and the people present knows we're joking.)

Words aren't intrinsically bad or good. Smile

People make connotations and taboos about them.

The word gay is just pragmatically easiest to use... least amount of syllables, doesn't sound clinical like homosexual, and it's a common word.

Actually, here's an article that started the conversation on another forum, and that's where the original poster told the story I put in the first post, that we "don't say homosexual".

Opinions on the article?

March 24 2014 5:00 PM
Why Homosexual Is Not a Bad Word
By J. Bryan Lowder

The trouble with writing about how a minority community “feels” about a given term or phrase is that, invariably, some members of that community will not, in fact, feel that way. Such was my experience with “The Decline and Fall of the ‘H’ Word,” a New York Times weekend Fashion & Style piece that revealed that gay and lesbian people now find the word homosexual to be “pejorative.” In the article, the noted gay historian George Chauncey went so far as to tell reporter Jeremy W. Peters that the term was analogous to “colored,” a clearly offensive word that only unreconstructed grandmothers still use with reference to African-Americans. With all-due-respect to Mr. Chauncey, I must confess dissent: My own gay feelings about the word are pretty much in line with the Times’ you-think-this-but-you’re-wrong definition—“A little outdated and clinical, perhaps, but innocuous enough.” And, as a member of The Community in Question, I’m willing to grant you—a well-intentioned, LGBTQ-friendly reader—permission to use homosexual when the occasion calls for it.

A few reasons: For starters, let’s not get in the habit of letting the overseers at GLAAD, on whose authority this article hinges, rescind access to words that really are innocuous. I am very happy for those folks to police truly offensive, defamatory speech, but homosexual—which, as a noun in common usage, means a person who is attracted to their same sex (like me!)—just doesn’t reach that level. We can agree that the word has a certain old-fashioned coolness to it, but so what? Lesbian is drawn from ancient Greek and used to essentially mean “lady sodomite” (not nice), and, in any case, some contexts are better served by a bit of remove from the familiarity of “gay dude.”

It’s true, as the Times piece points out, that homo-haters like Rush Limbaugh and Antonin Scalia deploy homosexual as an othering device, pronouncing it in the same sort of latex disdain that I wear when dealing with words like objectivism or Rush Limbaugh. But, come on: In those kinds of mouths, gay is going to come out the same way—and do we really want to let them determine what we can do with ours?

I say no, but that’s a matter of strategy that we can debate. To bring more weight to the subject, Peters quoted U.C. Berkley’s George P. Lakoff, a professor of cognitive science and linguistics, who observed that gay and lesbian do not “use the word sex,” while homo-sex-ual does. Additionally, the latter contains “homo,” which, while being a prefix that means “the same,” is also sometimes used derogatorily. For Lakoff, the whole word is a dog-whistle for homophobes (can we still say that?) who want to make same-sex sex seem icky.

But isn’t this a matter of perspective? One of my main struggles as a homosexual has been challenging the tendency of many straight people to treat my partner and me as “roommates” or “good friends,” when, in fact, we have sex. Gay sex. Regularly. If homosexual can help remind them of that important, definitional, politically crucial fact with less effort on my part, I say it’s a plus, not a minus.

While the Times article notes that “scholars expect the use of the term to eventually fall away entirely,” it doesn’t really consider the problems that loss could cause. It’s worth noting that gay has contested meanings as well, and by my definition of that word—which, very generally, has far more to do with a historically and geographically specific constellation of aesthetic tastes, artistic styles and modes of relating than with genitals—there are far fewer gay people around these days than there are homosexuals. But again, that’s my definition, and I’m not terribly interested in enforcing it on anyone. This point is that just as homosexual doesn’t suit everybody, gay, at least by some measures, isn’t all-fitting either. Given that fact, it’s probably best to avoid declarations on the subject altogether and to let people name themselves—that was, after all, the point of liberation in the first place.

J. Bryan Lowder is a Slate assistant editor. He writes and edits for Outward, Slate’s LGBTQ section, and for the culture section.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!