Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What "Term" do you prefer???
Arkansota Wrote:Homo is definitely offensive in this generation. It's a slur. And I think it could indicate some level of internalized homophobia when people use it to describe themselves.

Bolded part above (by me) is not necessarily true. I've used the term 'homo' to refer to myself at times, or said homosexual.

For some people, you are correct, they do have internalized homophobia. I'm just saying for me, this is not true.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

CellarDweller Wrote:Bolded part above (by me) is not necessarily true. I've used the term 'homo' to refer to myself at times, or said homosexual.

For some people, you are correct, they do have internalized homophobia. I'm just saying for me, this is not true.

That's because you're 45 and you weren't raised with homo as a slur.

Slightly more American term - homo.

Its a bit derogotory the same way pakistani’s will be called pakis, homosexual was shortened to homo, of course it depends who says it and with how much venom or anti-venom. I have more problem with the title straight cause it implys a kind of normalacy and uniformity that doesnt exist

Honestly?

I hate all of them. I use them for ease of identifying people, of which I use 'gay' most often.

But I prefer to be called by my name, or for people to say, "Oh, he's dating _____", rather than people saying, "Oh, he's gay.". No, I'm not gay. I have a name, thanks...

Woollyhats Wrote:Honestly?

I hate all of them. I use them for ease of identifying people.

But I prefer to be called by my name, or for people to say, "Oh, he's dating _____", rather than people saying, "Oh, he's gay.". No, I'm not gay. I have a name, thanks...

But your behavior means that you fit the label of "gay"

Labels are bad if they are subjective. This one, for the most part, is objective.

If asked I define myself as same sex

Back when I had just fostered my son, it became public knowledge and long story short I was invited to be interviewed on a particular reality TV show.

My legal advisor advised me to go, as declining would seem negative / ashamed / something to hide, but I was warned that it was most likeley going to be hostile, in which case fight fire with fire.

It was hostile, but to cut a long story short two descriptives came under the spotlight.

I was called gay, to which I responded I am not gay. Neither am I frivolous, or jolly, or silly-happy, which are other ways to describe gay.

I am a serious, and purposeful person. In reference to my sexual identity I am same sex orentated, please do not use the term gay.

The other descriptive was my "affair"....

I blew up! What gives you the right to refer to my life partner of 12 years as my affair?

Anyway, that's off topic here so I won't go on, but you get my drift

If someone asks if I have a gf or something, my way of saying it is along the lines of "nah, my brain isn't wired that way". Smile

I don't think there is a word that doesn't have negative connotations.

Why isn't Faggy McLikesdick on the list?

This says it quite nicely:

[Image: 1653867_682800705091961_1985680885_n.png]

SilverFrost Wrote:This says it quite nicely:

[Image: 1653867_682800705091961_1985680885_n.png]

I was about to say the same exact thing: human. Sometimes the way other labels are used tend to make me feel less than human. I would also accept "awesome" or "legendary" though.