Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would You Feel If Your Father Is This?
Pix Wrote:Can you please explain how this worked?

I believe you have to prove you can take care of yourself as an adult, including having a job and your own place...how did you do that? Was this before the days when the vast majority of landlords seem to want credit histories?

Next time I run into a kid who should become emancipated, I'd like to tell him or her more about it.

Those aren't the only things you have to prove, but that's a part of it, yeah. You also have to (essentially) prove that you would be better off on your own than as a dependent of your parents.

Landlords wasn't my major issue when proving I could take care of myself as an adult. It was the employment, actually, that was the issue. They want you to prove that you can finish your education (whether that's a GED, diploma, etc) as well as support yourself. Most employers are not going to hire you to work full time at 16, especially if you are determined to also continue going to school.

I was fortunate in that I had a network of support (friends, friends of friends, and acquaintances) willing to help me get what I needed, including affidavits and testimony on my behalf.

For living arrangements, they aren't requiring that you have to pay rent on a place all by yourself. If you can rent out a room that allows shared kitchen/bathroom accommodations... as long as it's stable (this includes a lease agreement), they'll accept it. This cuts down significantly on expenses. In my case, this was a much cheaper option than either trying to get an apartment with or without a roommate.

Just as a cautionary note.... this is -not- a solution for every kid that needs a way out of a toxic parental relationship. They need to be responsible. Determined. And highly resourceful in order to make emancipation work for them. Otherwise, even if they manage to legally emancipate, they could end up homeless, or worse.

If you need more details, feel free to contact me in pm.