Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a weird world we live in
Isn't it a weird world we live in? We've taken almost everything and assigned it to a gender. These colors are for boys, these colors are for girls. These toys are for boys, these toys are for girls. These jobs for men, these jobs for women. Tools for men, cleaning and sewing products for women. Flowery scents for women, bay rum and sandalwood for men. Beer and hard liquor for me, fruity drinks and wine coolers for women. Body hair ok for men, unsightly for women. Suits for men, dresses for women. This can go on forever, so I'm gonna stop.

Recently, things have started to change, and things that were originally assigned to one gender have become acceptably accessible to the other gender, but now there is this strange double standard around crossing that imaginary “gender line.” Nobody thinks twice about a female doctor, but male nurses are still laughed it. A woman can wear “mens clothes,” (or similarly refuse to wear “womens clothes”Wink, and it's fine; not many people will complain, make jokes, or say that it's weird. However, if a man were to wear a skirt, a dress, or some other “womens clothes,” it freaks everybody out. It's acceptable in certain forms; they have terms for it. A man in a dress is a “cross dresser” or a “drag queen.” Similarly, when a man does things that were previously considered “woman” activities, people assume that he is gay. Hair dresser? Fashion designer? Interior decorator? Make-up artist? Everybody knows that these are stereotypical “gay jobs,” and if people see a man doing these jobs, they usually assume that he is gay. It strikes me as odd that while women are free to venture into what was previously a “man's” world, men's ventures into the “woman's” world assumes homosexuality as a prerequisite.

If a man were to wear a skirt, he's “cross-dressing,” or he's wearing “women's clothes.” Why? What if the guy just liked the skirt and he wanted to wear it? I'm not saying I want to wear a dress or a skirt, but I think that men should be able to without being labeled. I think it would be amazing if someone started a fashion trend of “skirts for men,” or “dresses for men,” just to mess with people. I bet the hipsters would wear it, and it would be the first useful thing that they do.

Inless your a scot, which would have to be a klit, James
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

James Wrote:Inless your a scot, which would have to be a klit, James

Fun misspell Astrosmiley2

klit...lol. I think people should just be able to dress and act the way they want.

Think 70s! Todd Rundgren, KISS, QUEEN, Elton John, David Bowie, Alice Cooper....lots of examples of gender bending without the qualifications mentioned above...in many ways we have gone backwards in the past 30 years.

East Wrote:Think 70s! Todd Rundgren, KISS, QUEEN, Elton John, David Bowie, Alice Cooper....lots of examples of gender bending without the qualifications mentioned above...in many ways we have gone backwards in the past 30 years.

That was all before my time. Bowie's glam rock died pretty quick, nobody cares about Boy George anymore, Elton John has become less and less flamboyant, and Freddie's... deadCry

Alice Cooper... That did make me think of Marilyn Manson, who did whatever he wanted but somehow got all the worship from my homophone douchebag classmates in Junior High.

bariuke Wrote:That was all before my time. Bowie's glam rock died pretty quick, High.

Careful...Bowie wasn't a glam rocker, that title goes to the likes of Gary Glitter.

Bowie's genre was 'Rock theatre' as his songs told stories and dressed as a character. Bowies music didn't die, it has evolved, his type of rock from the 70's left the door open for hard rock and metal.

Bowies characters while often refered to as gender bending were in fact androgynous...genderless.

That's a name that thankfully rarely gets mentioned nowadays Garry Glitter and his "D'you wanna be in my gang , my gang!" No thanks rather not be...! Thankfully I'm far too old for his likes!

Yes, I agree in regards to that hideous creature...perhaps I would have been better off mentioning Marc Bolan

bariuke Wrote:... I think it would be amazing if someone started a fashion trend of “skirts for men,” or “dresses for men,” just to mess with people. I bet the hipsters would wear it, and it would be the first useful thing that they do.
It has been done many times http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_skirts

Quote:In the 1970s David Hall, a former research engineer at the Stanford Research Institute (SRI), actively promoted the use of skirts for men, appearing on both the Johnny Carson Show and the Phil Donahue show. In addition, he featured in many articles [1] at the time. In his Essay "Skirts for Men: the advantages and disadvantages of various forms of bodily covering" he stated that men should wear skirts for both symbolic and practical reasons. Symbolically, wearing skirts would allow men to take on desirable female characteristics. In practical terms, skirts, he suggested, do not chafe around the groin, and they are more suited to warm climates.

In the 1980s, a few male celebrities dressed in skirts, and fashion designers such as Jean-Paul Gaultier, Giorgio Armani, John Galliano, Kenzo, Rei Kawakubo, Marc Jacobs and Yohji Yamamoto tried to promote the idea of men wearing skirts, but failed to popularize the idea. Male skirt wearing remained firmly linked with ideas of effeminacy. Lead singer of Korn, Jonathan Davis has been known to wear kilts at live shows, and in music videos throughout his career of 18 years with Korn. Guns N' Roses singer, Axl Rose, was known to wear men skirts during the Use your Illusion period.

Recently, in France, an association was created to help spur the revival of the skirt for men.

And here's a gratuitous picture of David Beckham looking rather gorgeous
[Image: celeb-david-beckham.jpg]