Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What am I missing?
meridannight Wrote:OK, i will try to address your concern about the terrorists using these things, although you have to understand this is mostly a theoretical speculation.

take the consumer-grade drones i was just talking about on one thread of mine. those are yet mostly unpractical for such purposes. you cannot put a weight on them and still successfully fly them in the air. they will become unstable and crash. they're designed to function within a certain VERY limited range of weight and balance (including shape of the hull). so bombs are out, although you could deliver anthrax to your neighbor with them. but due to their limited range, you are gonna put yourself in danger of being exposed to the same anthrax. see, how that would not work? (well, at least on a person who is not suicidal).

the nuclear concern is unjustified at the moment. you have to keep in mind that the drones are small light aircraft and nuclear weapons often weigh in the 500+ kg range. drones capable of carrying such weight ARE restricted in most countries. if you try to acquire such technology you will get flagged. although, you can make smaller payloads, but a terrorist planning to blow up something big won't have much use of that, and for attacking on a smaller scale there is other technology out there that makes more sense to use than nuclear weapons.

it's a whole range of factors that play into it. mostly, military-grade drones are not available, or at least they are highly guarded and secured, and a lot of them are still in the development phase. and the consumer-grade drones are mostly unpractical for such usage.

i don't know what kind of drones amazon.com plans to use, but i doubt they will get a green light to fly drones capable of delivering large weights. they will be highly restricted in that department.

THANK YOU MERIDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS is what I was looking for....

All is well...or as well as it was before this popped into my head.....

[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION]. no problem. glad i could ease your mind.

meridannight Wrote:[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION]. no problem. glad i could ease your mind.

Me too....I admittedly don't like Jeff Bezos much for a multitude of reasons and I truly HATE this plan he has ...and then something on the local news tonight tripped the thought in my head...we get a lot of tech news here in Silicon Valley...

...and I prefer to keep my head free from any new unreasonable fears if possible....I would rather not entertain them...so I appreciate your insight very much.....