Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the last few concerts you've seen (or upcoming ones)?
What were they, and how were they?

I saw Courtney Love for the second time last month in Seattle, which was a massive deal to me because Hole is my all-time favorite band and I find her so inspiring in a multitude of ways. That bitch can still scream her head off after thirty years of singing and chain smoking, and she puts on such a great show. Before she started the concert, she asked the audience "How many of you are gay?", and when she got a resounding cheer, responded "Thank fucking god for that."

It was just... unreal.

Before that, I saw Morrissey back in March, which was great too, and he canceled his tour after the show I saw, so I felt kind of lucky. I'm going to see Scout Niblett this weekend; she's sort of indie and not uber famous, but I really love her stuff as well and have heard she puts on really intimate concerts. Any other concertgoers want to share? There's nothing quite like a good show, you know?

Other musicians/bands I've seen in the past:
St. Vincent
Chelsea Wolfe
Weezer
Hole
Horse Feathers
Jewel
Kiss (corny, I KNOW, bahaha)

I'm so jealous that you got to see St. Vincent! I'd also like to see Chelsea Wolfe. I've listened to some of her music and I didn't really enjoy it that much but I can imagine it being a powerful experience live.

My concert experiences are so limited I can actually post every band/artist I've seen live.

Takida (Swedish "rock" band I don't like, I went with a friend because it was cheap).
Howler (Meh)
The Cast of Cheers (Better than Howler but meh)
Splash (Can't even remember their music so I doubt it was good)
Gross Magic (Same as above)
CocoRosie (Cool performance and I like some of their songs but overall their music is not for me)
Diamanda Galás (WOW)
First Aid Kit (Nice folky little tunes I enjoyed!)

SolemnBoy Wrote:I'm so jealous that you got to see St. Vincent! I'd also like to see Chelsea Wolfe. I've listened to some of her music and I didn't really enjoy it that much but I can imagine it being a powerful experience live.

My concert experiences are so limited I can actually post every band/artist I've seen live.

Takida (Swedish "rock" band I don't like, I went with a friend because it was cheap).
Howler (Meh)
The Cast of Cheers (Better than Howler but meh)
Splash (Can't even remember their music so I doubt it was good)
Gross Magic (Same as above)
CocoRosie (Cool performance and I like some of their songs but overall their music is not for me)
Diamanda Galás (WOW)
First Aid Kit (Nice folky little tunes I enjoyed!)

Um, Diamanda Galas, I am JEALOUS! She never comes to my city when she tours, but I'd love to see her. I have a friend who saw her and she said her shows are unreal, which I can only imagine. Witnessing that voice in a live performance would be magical.

St. Vincent put on an incredible concert. Granted, I'd had a couple of drinks at the bar before she came on, but she was flawless. I went with three friends and all four of us were blown away. She's such a great guitar player and it was wild seeing her play some of her songs live (I almost died during "Surgeon" and "Your Lips Are Red"). She also did this insane cover of a Pop Group song. I want to see her again but she keeps touring with David Byrne and I missed the last show they had here. Based on what her last single was like, it appears that she's heading in a noise/art rock direction.

And yeah, Chelsea Wolfe was hypnotic. Some of her music is a bit difficult to get into, but I really enjoy it and that concert was ethereal almost. I was front row, right at the stage, so I got to see her up close. She was really nervous, you could tell, and she kept having to ask the sound guy to turn up her vocals and said she didn't like talking during concerts. She put down her guitar and walked offstage before her band finished the outro to the last song and ducked out of sight, but still, a really good concert. Good enough that I bought both of her albums at the merch table (I'd already been streaming them online for a few months, but that concert solidified my fandom).

starbelly Wrote:Um, Diamanda Galas, I am JEALOUS! She never comes to my city when she tours, but I'd love to see her. I have a friend who saw her and she said her shows are unreal, which I can only imagine. Witnessing that voice in a live performance would be magical.

St. Vincent put on an incredible concert. Granted, I'd had a couple of drinks at the bar before she came on, but she was flawless. I went with three friends and all four of us were blown away. She's such a great guitar player and it was wild seeing her play some of her songs live (I almost died during "Surgeon" and "Your Lips Are Red"). She also did this insane cover of a Pop Group song. I want to see her again but she keeps touring with David Byrne and I missed the last show they had here. Based on what her last single was like, it appears that she's heading in a noise/art rock direction.

And yeah, Chelsea Wolfe was hypnotic. Some of her music is a bit difficult to get into, but I really enjoy it and that concert was ethereal almost. I was front row, right at the stage, so I got to see her up close. She was really nervous, you could tell, and she kept having to ask the sound guy to turn up her vocals and said she didn't like talking during concerts. She put down her guitar and walked offstage before her band finished the outro to the last song and ducked out of sight, but still, a really good concert. Good enough that I bought both of her albums at the merch table (I'd already been streaming them online for a few months, but that concert solidified my fandom).

I'm kind of glad someone else knows who she is because she doesn't get much recognition. To be fair, it can be demanding to actually enjoy her music but there's no question that her voice outshines more or less all other modern musicians, with perhaps a few exceptions. Anyways, yes it was very powerful.

Haha, that doesn't sound like Chelsea at all. Or, I mean, given the kind of music she makes and the cover to 'Apokalypsis' I wouldn't imagine her to be a very shy person. I think she's released a new album this year, perhaps that's worth checking out. 'Surgeon' is one of my favourite St. Vincent songs so I can't help but be even more jealous now.

SolemnBoy Wrote:I'm kind of glad someone else knows who she is because she doesn't get much recognition. To be fair, it can be demanding to actually enjoy her music but there's no question that her voice outshines more or less all other modern musicians, with perhaps a few exceptions. Anyways, yes it was very powerful.

Haha, that doesn't sound like Chelsea at all. Or, I mean, given the kind of music she makes and the cover to 'Apokalypsis' I wouldn't imagine her to be a very shy person. I think she's released a new album this year, perhaps that's worth checking out. 'Surgeon' is one of my favourite St. Vincent songs so I can't help but be even more jealous now.

Ditto on Diamanda, and yeah, Chelsea was super shy. I read that when she first started out she'd wear a black veil over her face so she couldn't see the crowd. She seems to have a bit of stage fright, although obviously not badly enough to prevent her from playing. Her music doesn't give that impression, I agree, but she seemed like someone who is not naturally comfortable in front of an audience, but has rather forced herself to be. She has a new album coming out in the fall and I plan on seeing her on that tour again. I saw her last fall, in September I think.

Went to see Marina & the Diamonds on her Lonely Hearts Club Tour. That was about amazing as I expected Smile Went to one of her lower-key sets - due to it being the furthest north, and thus the only one I could really get to without spending too much money - but it was still brilliant Smile Never got to see her afterwards though, which was a bit depressing, because she's known for usually being quite good for that kind of thing... but she never turned up. Still, there's always next time! Laugh

I seem to have awful luck when it comes to concerts/tours. Besides the aforementioned success, every time I've ever bought tickets to go somewhere, something ended up happening to prevent me from going. I usually make a profit selling the tickets... but it's no consolation.

The Moody Blues (best concert I've ever been to)

BB King (great, but because of old age he wasn't able to shred as he used to)

Asking Alexandria, White Chapel, Chimera, Motionless in White (excellent show, Blew my socks off)

Lamb of God - seen em before and will always see them whenever they come through, because they never disappoint.