Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What book are you reading now?
Taken by Dean Koontz. It's a bit odd.

Billy Wrote:Taken by Dean Koontz. It's a bit odd.

Never found Dean Koontz all that engaging...

What is considered his best of his best?

An utterly impartial history of Britain

Its written by a comedian and it takes a funny look at history, which as a bit of a history neek, i rather enjoy!

Have finished intimate adventures. Have also read Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs, now onto Devil Bones, the new Kathy Reichs book. Treated myself to a brand new hardback version (esp as I managed to get £10 off!!). Only into about chapter 4 but its as good as any KR book so far. I really recommend Kathy Reichs as an author, the Temperence Brennan novels are captivating, you really dont want to put them down.

Also treated myself to the new Jeremy Clarkson book (was tempted by the Richard Hammond one but thats gone on my crimbo list) CANNOT wait to read the JC book. Reading the KR one first so that mum can borrow it. JC has almost exactly the same sense of humour/outlook on life as I do and I always find his observations hilarious.

I appear to have become a book addict - which is fine, but I must join a library!Grlaugh

Right now I'm almost finished "Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art" by Scott McCloud.

fjp999 Wrote:Never found Dean Koontz all that engaging...

What is considered his best of his best?

I thought Taken began on a good idea but seems from that book onwards Koontz became very preachy with his deeper religous meanins stead of stickin to what he was good at (horror/suspense stories)

Frank check out some of his older stuff really awesome reads ... personally i'd recommend the Odd Thomas series,Watchers or The Bad Place tho there are some f'n great titles! Wink

Phil! Wrote:Frank check out some of his older stuff really awesome reads ... personally i'd recommend the Odd Thomas series,Watchers or The Bad Place tho there are some f'n great titles! Wink

Thanks Phil... will see if sis has any of his older stuff. Believe she is a fan.

Bighug

Am reading the boys of my youth by Jo Anne Beard an amazing novel and very descriptive.Also reading the boy in the dress by David Walliams, its a childrens story but is apparently good for adults too. Love reading poetry too especially Carol Ann Duffy.

Has anyone else read Stephanie Meyers Twilight series? I know there YA books but there's soooooo much hype about them atm...anyhoo i'm readin Twilight atm Cool

I read World War Z by Max Brooks over the summer.

But now I'm reading Wessex Tales by Thomas Hardy, in this, his first collection of short stories, Hardy sought to record the legends, superstitions, local customs, and lore of a Wessex that was rapidly passing out of memory. But these tales also portray the social and economic stresses of 1880s Dorset, and reveal Hardy's growing skepticism about the possibility of achieving personal and sexual satisfaction in the modern world. By turns humorous, ironic, macabre, and elegiac, these seven stories show the range of Hardy's story-telling genius.The critically established text, the first to be based on detailed study of all revised texts, presents manuscript readings which have never before appeared in print.The stories include The Three Strangers; A Tradition of Eighteen Hundred and Four; The Melancholy Hussar of the German Legion; The Withered Arm; Fellow-Townsmen; Interlopers at the Knap; The Distracted Preacher

I really love this book by Hardy because the story are of Wessex where I'm from and its all about the places I know and love..

Wessex Tales: strange, lively and ... - Google Book Search