Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you look for in a website designer?
So say you wanted to setup a website...

If your doing this alone you have to sort out:
Purchasing a Domain registrar
Purchasing Hosting for the website

Then you have to setup the website
which could involve installing a content management system

This gives you FULL control of the website (too much for you)

Would you look to the website designer to cover all that.

Would you prefer to be left in the dark so for example you say:
I want a website design and a website
... website.com
Then just leave the website designer to it and just pay him?

Thanks.

I would want someone to be able to explain to me in simple language what a broad range of options might be for the types of websites that might serve my needs. This might be a simple one page containing the minimum of information or an all singing-all dancing fully interactive emporium.

I'd want to know, how much of the upkeep of the site I could reasonably expect to do myself.

I would want to know there is is pretty much instant technical support on hand for those moments when things don't seem to be working.

I would want to have the advice of designers who understand that not everyone runs a NASA-sized computer.

I would want the option of adding and removing content easily and advice on the best and most efficient ways of generating this content.

I would want to be able to deal with a visually creative professional with a sound understanding of the technical aspects of building a website.

I would want someone who can assure me of the security and safety of my website.

I would hope to be kept informed of new technical developments which could later be incorporated into my site as an option.

I would want the option of someone else dealing with all the boring stuff of web-hosting and domain registration and an assurance that there would be no nasty surprises when it comes to renewing domain registrations.

I would want someone who didn't charge for services that they could later not deliver (one musical charity of my acquaintance was charged £2k for building a website that never worked as envisaged before the design company went into liquidation).

Guarantees, references, examples of succesful projects, adequate business insurances would be comforting ...

Is that any use for starters?

Well what you've mentioned is more of what you get from a £2k designer Roflmao.

I'm charging around £250 + a montly/annual fee for hosting not yet decided upon the fee.

I would never say the website is safe and secure as I know that you can hack anything, I would ensure that its kept updated and I shall try and keep it as secure as I know how to.
So I shall be avoiding any questions that come down to security.

Instant tech support, I'm only one man.
I guess I should add more cost for the website support, that can be a 24 hour job!

The idea is if I host the website that I chuck the user a content management system which I will keep updated, giving them some what control of how their website is shown so their incontrol of all the content etc, so I don't help with that area its all down to the client.
So the upkeeping would involve everything that happens on the site to do with contents

I'm starting to think £250 is a bargain!

CardShark Wrote:Well what you've mentioned is more of what you get from a £2k designer Roflmao.
Tbh, most of us haven't much of a clue about website design or management. I just wrote a list of things that came to mind. Your job would be to be clear about what you would be prepared to offer.

Quote:I'm charging around £250 + a montly/annual fee for hosting not yet decided upon the fee.
Naturally you have to cover your costs. Of course, a client would be looking for ways of reducing theirs Wink

Quote:I would never say the website is safe and secure as I know that you can hack anything, I would ensure that its kept updated and I shall try and keep it as secure as I know how to.
So I shall be avoiding any questions that come down to security.
It's okay, you don't have to justify yourself to me Rolleyes

Quote:Instant tech support, I'm only one man.
I guess I should add more cost for the website support, that can be a 24 hour job!
Not necessarily. I have the good fortune to have my sites hosted for free by a member of my band who who has some unused server space and who might be performing anywhere in the world on other contracts. If I have a question, as I did recently, I know he will answer an e-mail within twelve hours. It's an arrangement I find very satisfying.

Quote:The idea is if I host the website that I chuck the user a content management system which I will keep updated, giving them some what control of how their website is shown so their incontrol of all the content etc, so I don't help with that area its all down to the client.
Think of it as empowering your client Wink

Quote:I'm starting to think £250 is a bargain!
Would a lot of your clients be people just starting out in business? Personally I would have to think long and hard about spending £250 and I've been trying to keep my head above water for nearly 10 years. Still, that doesn't mean that everyone you meet will be a penny-pinching skinflint like me Rolleyes

Have you spoken to Businesslink yet?

marshlander Wrote:Tbh, most of us haven't much of a clue about website design or management. I just wrote a list of things that came to mind. Your job would be to be clear about what you would be prepared to offer.
Thats why I asked here

marshlander Wrote:Not necessarily. I have the good fortune to have my sites hosted for free by a member of my band who who has some unused server space and who might be performing anywhere in the world on other contracts. If I have a question, as I did recently, I know he will answer an e-mail within twelve hours. It's an arrangement I find very satisfying.
Sounds good, that I could do like support within 24 hours or something.

marshlander Wrote:Would a lot of your clients be people just starting out in business? Personally I would have to think long and hard about spending £250 and I've been trying to keep my head above water for nearly 10 years. Still, that doesn't mean that everyone you meet will be a penny-pinching skinflint like me Rolleyes
Yeah my first client dropped out because he couldn't afford it.
Plus he wanted to use £400 worth of e-commerce software which was pointless!

Keep the ideas comming, still putting content on my site so I'm trying to put together as much information as I can of what I can offer and what I do.

Gay and fit for me, thats all I need lol!

Wink

only joking..

If you need work mate, I need some help designing my own website from my degree!!

sweetlad86 Wrote:Gay and fit for me, thats all I need lol!

Wink

Damn I'll never get work then!

sweetlad86 Wrote:only joking..

If you need work mate, I need some help designing my own website from my degree!!

I'm guessing your suggesting I work for free Roflmao.

CardShark Wrote:Damn I'll never get work then!

I'm guessing your suggesting I work for free Roflmao.

hehe what you want for payment lol!

All depends on how much you charge mate, I can give you some thing but I'm not sure how much I got at the moment?

I just need a basic website to show my work on really, probably need a index page, contacts and 10 other papers to show the work on.

Its for my 3nd year work, thats next year...

sweetlad86 Wrote:hehe what you want for payment lol!
RoflmaoFiredevil

sweetlad86 Wrote:All depends on how much you charge mate, I can give you some thing but I'm not sure how much I got at the moment?

I just need a basic website to show my work on really, probably need a index page, contacts and 10 other papers to show the work on.

Its for my 3nd year work, thats next year...

Well you can have advice/help for free :biggrin:.