Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think? Should I volunteer at the Cimmarron center?
For many years now I've wanted to be able to help with gay pride events and LGBT issues. I've been unable because my friends are very homophobic and antigay and would never have agreed to help me. But, I found a website that allows interested people an opportunity to volunteer. I can do many of the things that this organization needs doing. I am a computer expert (although I must say chat here doesn't work well with screen-readers. I tried), I have several years of clerical/secretarial/data entry experience. I can answer phones. I have done some public speaking. I think I would be an asset but the only problem: I can't drive and I cannot ask friends or family to help. Paratransit doesn't extend out this far. Should I contact them anyway and volunteer? I think this would be a great opportunity to network with other like-minded gay people.

Usually, when you volunteer someplace, they will "interview" you to find out what your abilities are.
Then they will place you in the area they need you most, unless they need someone in an area where your skills are required.

I help our local pride org. I volunteer for Trevor.org, Yes it gives a sense of satisfaction knowing you are helping others who maybe in the closet, on the street, contemplating suicide, or just don't have the time to commit to helping the various org's out there, James
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]