Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of Sweden? (Spontaneous post)
Just spontaneously did I read some sites about Sweden and what makes it bad, and to be honest there were a lot of bad but true facts that I actually agree on. I am just curious, as you are not a citizen of this country, what are your thoughts of Sweden? It needs sometimes an outsider to realize some things.

I can honestly say I don't know much about it...

I had always heard that Swedish culture was highly taxed but very effective, and that they had high problems with immigration. They also make awesome electro music and films.

It's really difficult to say, my perceptions were that it was quite a peaceful and well-run country.

from the UK ive heard no problems with sweden.. I used to work with a guy from there and he told me a few things which were funny and to be honest it seems a nice little country especially music wise in eurovision!!!!!!!!Tongue

Kindest regards

zeon x

I think Sweden has one hell of a hockey team, according to IIHF rankings Sweden is ranked 3rd. I mean ever seen those Sedin twins play, it's like some kind of freak show.

Sveden...the land of Svens, snow and saunas, along with high taxes. Sweden is one of those countries that has produced some great sports stars, but ultimately we don't know a great deal about.

Stockholm is the Capital, and the country shares its boarder with Norway and Finland. It's famous history includes Vikings, and you have close relations with Denmark who has an Aussie Princess as part of the Royal Family...Princess Mary :-)

As with the rest of the world, Sweden has its problems, it has its charms, and it has it's rich history.

Sweden is not often a source of public news in the United States. Once in a while there may be some bit of news on the country, but more frequently what we hear will have something to do with the Nobel Prize. It is probably a good thing that Sweden is not heard about much in American news as those countries that are (and are not either close allies or very powerful) are usually very unstable and violent.

When most Americans think of Sweden, they have vague notions of Sweden having something to do with fjords, lutfisk, and Abba. Where they might be able to name European leaders like Gordon Brown, Nicolas Sarkozy, Berlusconi, and Angela Merkel, they will likely not know who the Prime Minister of Sweden is. Though, they are likely to guess that its government is democratic (since its European) and may even be able to say that it has a royal family. Beyond that, I have no clue, as even I have exhausted most of my own knowledge about the country.

As far as taxation and immigration, as others have mentioned, Americans tend to think that all European countries are taxed too much and focus more on our own problems with immigration. Wow, I just realized the estimated number of illegal immigrants in the United States is higher than the entire population of Sweden. I wouldn't sweat too much what foreigners think of your country; each country has its own issues to deal with . . . especially at this very unstable time.

. . . Also, don't be envious of those nations in the spotlight, as there is typically as much misinformation about them as there is real information, which can be just as frustrating.

Sweden is not mentioned on American TV often. I think most people here think of Nobel, Abba, Ace Of Base, Bjorn Borg, when they think of Sweden.

I've never been to Sweden, but I'd like to go. I have a few friends who live there, and they've been here and seen NYC.....I'd like to see Sweden.

Smile

ETA: Just saw Inchante's post, he's listed pretty much the names I did.....sorry for the duplicate post!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I've been to Sweden a couple times (Malmo and Goteburg).

I have several Scandinavian friends including two of my closest friends who are Finnish and quick to remind me they are NOT Scandinavian. But my best Finnish friend is from Western Finland and speaks Swedish.

Since I'm actually closer to my Finnish friends I do hear more about the "rivalry" between Sweden and Finland. Even my Norwegian friends speak of being somewhat "overshadowed" by the larger Sweden.

But all of my friends, the Swedes, Finns and Norwegians are such polite and well mannered people that it's a pleasure to be around all of them--even when we've been drinking.

Smile

Yes, they are Nordic Smile

And doesn't every country have that sort of rivalry... Australia vs New Zealand, Japan vs Korea, China Vs Japan, Us vs Canada etc

dfiant Wrote:Yes, they are Nordic Smile

And doesn't every country have that sort of rivalry... Australia vs New Zealand, Japan vs Korea, China Vs Japan, Us vs Canada etc

Absolutely.

And I won't comment on Canada.
:tongue: