Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of this one, Jay??
dfiant Wrote:... you know Darwins theory of survival 'the strongest survive'?

Wrong.
It's "survival of the fittest".
Or in other words, "The best adapted, survive."
Sorry, i've been conversing with creationists too long to let these things slide any more.:redface:

Don't you see the hidden hypocrisy in this quote.

Quote:"Such exposure is important and it is high time the LGBT issue is discussed openly and not think of it as a taboo"

If I didn't read the whole article but only the quote, I could have thought he wants to create awareness and educate the public about homosexuality in a positive light.

LGBT indeed is a taboo subject and it needs to be discussed openly. The public needs to be educated correctly about homosexuality. Homosexuality is not a disease and it cannot infect people's minds.

Malaysia is a very modern country but divided into several groups - The religious conservative, modern conservative and modern progressive. I think it will stay divided in years to come as the youngsters are being fed with 'Yellow culture' and 'Only Islam is pure and other religions are not' since day 1. Yellow Culture basically means everything that's bad comes from the west.

Last April, there was an anti gay demonstration in a stadium participated by 3000 people. The demonstration consisted of old and young people (Majority Muslims). I bet most of them are modern folks but think backward at the same time. They accept changes in all aspects but religion.

But as I've stated, Malaysia is also filled with modern progressive people. I work in a district called Starhill, which is basically the heart and soul of the capital city. It is home to many landmarks, shopping centers, bars (Including gay bars) and more. A lot of foreigners, expats and gay folks live in this district. It's basically our version of New York's fifth avenue or Melbourne's Collins Street. I occasionally see gays/lesbians holding hands in the public. I see holding hands in public as a symbol of moving forward and breaking the wall. Most people seem not to mind gays/lesbians holding hands. Even if they do, they do not dare to speak up or take action as Starhill is a modern district with progressive thinkers (majority).

I doubt the campaign being done by the education ministry will be successful. I'm sure they will get support from the conservative parents. But they will also receive backlash from the progressive parents.

The education ministry has failed in fulfilling its responsibility, which is to educate men to think, work and decide rationally and properly. Education should make us humans but the present education is making us passive and deeply thoughtless. They just want us to continue to swallow everything that they are feeding us.

But world, don't give up on us in Malaysia just yet. Each one of us, the progressive thinker will continue to do our best efforts to break the wall, to educate and create changes - directly or indirectly.

So girls who spend time with other girls, playing with dolls and such are all lesbians?
Yes, this makes perfect sense.

Don't worry Jay, I'm not giving up on Malaysia. One place I really want to visit is the city of Yogyakarta in Java to see puppetry both Traditional leather puppetry used in Shadow Plays (wayang kulit) and the more contemporary puppetry and theatre (like the "Papermoon Puppet Theatre"). I love puppetry of all kinds.
However the Muppets remain my favorite.

BTW- survival of the strongest/ fittest in many instances the two words are synonymous, for example "strength training" counts as "fitness". Dfiant meant the same thing, so he didn't quote Darwin verbatim, it's a good thing we have an Englishmen with us to set things straight.

Genersis Wrote:Wrong.
It's survival of the fittest.
Or in other words, "The best adapted, survive."
Sorry, i've been conversing with creationists too long to let these things slide any more.:redface:

besides being purely pedantic, what is the difference and what did you think you achieved by correcting someone on an extremely minor error?

Just saying

Where the hell did I put my handbag? Rolleyes

dfiant Wrote:besides being purely pedantic, what is the difference and what did you think you achieved by correcting someone on an extremely minor error?

Just saying

Not sure it is a minor error, Daz... Just saying. Fittest means the most adaptable to the situation, it may happen that the fittest is not the strongest, but maybe the cleverest (intellectually) while not necessarily being the most muscular, or the one in the best of health... Strongest and fittest may seem to be synonyms but they obviously aren't. In any case, Genz didn't mean it as a slur, I'm sure.
Your "strongest" meant "fittest": we got it, I guess. Wink

monk Wrote:Where the hell did I put my handbag? Rolleyes
Looking for your glasses, Monk, your scarf, a hanky or a bludgeon? Laugh2

dfiant Wrote:besides being purely pedantic, what is the difference and what did you think you achieved by correcting someone on an extremely minor error?

Just saying
Strongest refers to strength.
Fittest refers to the most fit to survive; not necessarily the strongest; just the best adapted.

Creationists normally think the evil atheist Hitler killed all those people because he believed in evolution, and survival of the strongest/death to the weakest; and that evolution caused eugenics ETC ETC.
Basically, that evolution caused the second world war and holocaust, and also that it makes people believe the weak should be exterminated.
A surprisingly common view held by conservative Christians in the US in my discussions with them.:frown:

If they hear other people confirming their incorrect view of what evolution is, then it's just going to make teaching them what evolution actually is even harder.

It's kind of strange that the news only begins to spread in my country few days ago. My straight friends thought the whole thing was idiotic.

I was told by a friend that a local website had fun ridiculing the guidelines. They stated that many of our local politicians matched well with the guidelines. They compiled photos of our politicians wearing v-neck etc.

dfiant Wrote:These sort of things should give you strength mate, you know Darwins theory of survival 'the strongest survive'?

Strength comes from being open minded and embracing life with all it's quirks, therefore bigots are weak and won't survive Wink

No its survival of the fittest. And fitness does not mean smartest, bravest, strongest - it means the most adaptable.

Fortunately Lewis will adapt (The crystal ball has spoken).

Unfortunately, bigotry also adapts... Sorry.