Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does "flaunting" mean?
First, some background info. I'm in the Marine Corps, and the Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal is in full effect on Tuesday. In the meantime, the law isn't being enforced anyway for a variety of logistical and legal reasons.

So I have a question. Ever since I came out a few days ago, I've been wondering. What exactly is "flaunting" being gay? I have a pride flag in my room, and I have a copy of the 19 Sept Marine Corps Times (Cover headline is "We're Gay, Get Over It") floating around my room. Also, whenever someone says "that's gay" I retort with "I know, it's awesome, right?!" I don't go around winking and flirting and trying to touch all the cute straight guys, I don't even look at them any longer than anyone else I'm not attracted to. So where is that line?

Crs30 Wrote:First, some background info. I'm in the Marine Corps, and the Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal is in full effect on Tuesday. In the meantime, the law isn't being enforced anyway for a variety of logistical and legal reasons.

So I have a question. Ever since I came out a few days ago, I've been wondering. What exactly is "flaunting" being gay? I have a pride flag in my room, and I have a copy of the 19 Sept Marine Corps Times (Cover headline is "We're Gay, Get Over It") floating around my room. Also, whenever someone says "that's gay" I retort with "I know, it's awesome, right?!" I don't go around winking and flirting and trying to touch all the cute straight guys, I don't even look at them any longer than anyone else I'm not attracted to. So where is that line?

Hmm, I think it would depend on company present at that moment.

"Flaunting" to me means, showing off, rubbing it in someone's face, being over the top, etc.

Whatever material you have in your private space is nobody's business, so that sounds pretty discrete to me.

But behaving "queer" in the military could be perceived as "flaunting" while the same exact behavior in, say, Miami Beach might be just be cute.

Just depends.
Smile

I dont think posters and flags count as flaunting. Now if a person was walking around rubbing all up on other people that may count as flaunting.

Carrying on one shoulder an old-fashioned ghetto-blaster booming out 70s disco whilst sashaying across the parade ground wearing only pink sparkly trunks and toe nail polish could be seen as flaunting. It's hardly offensive though, unless someone chooses to take offence.

I think "flaunting" is a word used by someone to describe the behaviour of another person when that behaviour makes them uncomfortable.

its the same as a straight girl would flaunt it.

how could a gay guy flaunt it? example; well ride up to a gay bar and park your sport bike on the sidewalk. your are trying to control how people perceive you.

i dont think its correct to express your sexual self in the work place any more. DADT may be gone but they arn't paying you to not do your job 100%. have a life off hours.

SleepTalker Wrote:I dont think posters and flags count as flaunting. Now if a person was walking around rubbing all up on other people that may count as flaunting.

No, that's called sexual harassment. Flaunting comes before that.

As to the question, I would do what makes you comfortable. You should have a reasonable understanding of what is expected of you in the Marine Corps. Obviously they are not going to let you wear a rainbow belt with your uniform.

What you can do to be out?: Have normal conversations with your coworkers and your friends where in you do not hide who you are. Decorate your own private quarters as you like. Update your Facebook status. And, when you are off duty, do what ever you like within the bounds of law.

Had a good talk with an NCO of mine about where the line is drawn (Army here).

Just remember that you still have to maintain your military professionalism. It's been pointed out above that you can do whatever you want in your free time and, to a limited extent, your personal space. If you're the type to keep posters of scantily-clad men, remember that they can't be considered "sexually suggestive," or they'll have to come down. Public shows of affection are generally discouraged no matter what your orientation is but it's not prohibited. If you decide to steal the occasional smooch from a significant other, make sure it's fairly brief and there's no petting involved.

When in doubt, just remember that it's the impact on military professionalism that'll be considered the most whenever you have to think if something crosses the line. I'd highly recommend the website for Outserve Magazine- they have a bunch of articles and some corresponding links to issues such as this.

Hope this helps Smile