Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What hand do you lead with?
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I was born a south-paw. This enraged my parents to the point where they did thing like literally tie my left arm behind my back to force me to be a good kid, a normal kid - a proper right hand using individual.

My mother considered all left handed people to be evil-doers. The way my parents 'taught' me to be a right handed individual has been called 'abusive' by every therapist and psychiatrist I have talked to.

I never learned how to write with my left hand. So it is not my righting - erm, writing- hand. :tongue:

In 2001 the wet wall (plumbing wall) between the kitchen and bathroom had a few minor leaks which slowly ate away at the floor and wall studs. I had no other choice but to gut the house (its only 450 square feet so not that big of a deal). I moved the kitchen and bathroom and bedroom around a little. While the lay out had been for a right handed person, it did not take advantage of natural light and available space. The design was at best poor. I set about redesigning the space doubling the storage space and increasing the size of the bedroom. Taking out a mere shower and installing a bathtub.

When finished I found the work more than satisfactory. My Partner said he didn't like the layout, that somehow he felt like he had to work more while using the kitchen.

A few years later I herniated a few disks in my spine, the one in my neck impinges on the left arm ulnar nerve. So I needed the left ulnar nerve transposed (Kaiser didn't want to touch the spine since my disks bulge outward, not inward).

I discovered that I had unconsciously designed the kitchen in favor of the left hand. :o

While I suppose technically I can be called ambidextrous since I use both hands, or be considered a righty since I write with only my right hand. I suspect I am very much that evil, soulless left handed creature my mother believes me to be.:biggrin:

That sounds deep Disoriented

Sounds somewhat similar, though less extreme. I started playing String Instruments [along with other instruments] at a young age and as most people know, they're majoritively designed to be played right handed[bow in the right hand, left hand presses the notes].

So that's how I learned to use my Right hand. Though I prefer my left hand when writing or reaching for a doorknob or something.

I'm still not completely sure if I was left handed or became ambidextrous. Most likely I started off left handed, as it feels more comfortable Biglaugh .

Guess I'm evil Wink lol

im ambidextrous too , i will lead with my left to shake someones hand and that baffles them sometimes lol ,

Mum, Bowyn... sorry for your experience. People are crazy sometimes, looking for problems where there are none. So many people condemn Hitler's thinking (I am not talking about what he did, I am mentioning the idea that some people are better than others just because they were born certain way), but we are doing the same in so many other ways. Not only to black people or LGBT, now to left-handed too. I don't have high hopes for the mankind sometimes.

My cousin was taught that writing with a left hand was not good.

When I was a teenager I heard that left-handed people used their brain in a different way (better way ConfusedmileSmile and that they were more creative because they used both parts of their brain.

So :biggrin: I bought a notebook for the kids who learn how to write and started to fill it in with my left hand. I felt like a my brain was burning :biggrin: Then someone told me Oh you mustn't do this, you'll get dumb :biggrin: So, I haven't learned how to write with my left hand Roflmao
I've got to know later that you use your brain in a similar way when you draw. That is less painful for me Smile

Two kids in my family are left-handed and they are both very creative.

When you clasp your hands like this:
[Image: 504781515_d0510db1de.jpg]

will your dominant hand have the thumb in upper position?

Well I'm orthodox so that means I lead with my left, my right stays home tucked just under my ear ready to deal out power when needed. I tend to favor my lead left uppercut, straight right hand combo. I can switch to south paw but my left hand lacks stopping power, it also puts my footwork out of rhythm.

Right-handed.

Nick9 Wrote:Two kids in my family are left-handed and they are both very creative.

When you clasp your hands like this:
[Image: 504781515_d0510db1de.jpg]

will your dominant hand have the thumb in upper position?

That's very interesting. When I clasp my hands that way, my left thumb is on top, but when I try it purposefully with my right thumb, it also feels comfortable :eek: .

Of all my siblings, I'm the only one that is left handed or can write with their left hand. I have 5 younger siblings.

It's also weird, because when I use the mouse[for the computer], I sometimes catch myself trying to grab it with my left hand. Biglaugh My family is right handed, so we have a right handed mouse. [I'm pretty sure there's a left handed one:confused: ]

you can tickle some box somewhere and the mouse will behave as made for a left handed person Smile

I feel comfortable both ways too, but spontaneously I never put the left thumb up Smile

Nick9 Wrote:you can tickle some box somewhere and the mouse will behave as made for a left handed person Smile

I feel comfortable both ways too, but spontaneously I never put the left thumb up Smile

Oh cool. I never knew that Wink .

Yeah, if I just did it, my left thumb pops up on top.

It's so funny how our bodies are so similar, but very different...

I read some identical twins exhibit this, where one is right handed and the other one is left handed.

my friend gave me a watch the other day and commented how i put it on my left wrist autoumatically, he pointed out this out which i didnt think anything of till he pointed to the othe 6 lads with watches all on their right hands - he did also say it could be because im gay for a laugh which made me lol

noticed my ring is on left hand plus the friendship braclet i got at the festival i whent to - they just feel right on the left for me - is that usual ?

Well for me, I like my watch on my right wrist, but I write with my left hand, and sometimes switch to my right hand... so I guess it is usual, atleast compared to me Biglaugh .

On a comfortability factor, my left hand is it, but I'm nearly as efficient with my right hand, as with my left.

It seems like 8/10 children are right handed naturally and the other 2 are left handed, so it can be uncommon.

Truely Ambidextrous children are usually born 1/100 children. I don't believe I was born Ambidextrous, but kind of learned to be, since most things require the right hand, especially because I play String Instruments, which are majoritively designed right handed.