Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if you lost everything after winning the lottery?
Here are 21 cases of people who just couldn't handle it:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/01/08/21.../21294190/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Hmm, there are some interesting stories there.

Some of those can't be put entirely on money. Some are just people being irresponsible, though.

I would pay off college, get a decent place, maybe travel and that's about it I think. I would hate all the publicity. I wonder if there's a way to fly off the radar if winning this much money.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Fly off the radar? I think that it depends where you live. In some American states you cannot claim anonimity. In the UK you can choose. If you choose anonimity then you don't get any support from the company that runs the lottery unlike if you choose the publicity when you will get financial advice. I wonder how many of those 21 received or asked for financial advice? To fritter away so much money in such a short space of time seems to me to be the height of stupidity and irresponsibility.

In my state you can't claim lottery winnings in your name anonymously, but you can remain anonymous if you claim it in some sort of trust or other legal entity.
If I ever won anything more than a million I'd almost certainly attempt to remain hidden behind a blind trust, a trust within a trust, or an LLC.
I'd choose the lump sum and have a team of experts manage my wealth for me. If I had a principal as large as the last jackpot, I wouldn't care for a high interest high risk portfolio; when you're talking that much money you can have a boring portfolio and still live a comfortable life. I'd live off of the principal principal - only spending the interest to fund my new lifestyle.

Yep,,, the first thing you need is a Financial Adviser. The second thing you need,, is to listen to the Financial Adviser and do what he tells you!!!
We Have Elvis !!

I don't really get why people want a "lifestyle".

Would be nice to pay off important debts, but beyond that....what? Fancy cars? Expensive clothing.

As ling as I have a decent place to live in, I don't really care about much else.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

If ever I won one of thoes incredible prizes, apart from taking care of my own immediate and modest needs, very many charities would suddenly find themselves with unexpected windfalls. Oh, and I would remain anonymous.