Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if you won the lottery?
I would follow my dream. Buy a nice log style cabin on a couple acres of land in the California Sierras. Lets say a 3 bedroom 2 bath with a huge stone fireplace and a 10 car garage with a large shop so I can restore vintage cars at my own pace. Buy an adjacent lot for my sister and build to her specifications.
Pay my best friends bills and make sure his 3 daughters go to a good college and get his 68 GTO running again so I can finally (after 15 years) race him.......and win. Donate to a couple animal shelters. Invest the rest. Then I'm good.

Buy a house, then find a way to have the money made available to me in increments of $20,833 a month.

dfiant Wrote:wow...you can pay off every family members mortgages AND give them 10 grand each.

The average mortgage in Australia is $350 000 so you would be struggling to pay off 3 mortgages.

well they each have most of it paid off, not much money left...1 mill is lot of money lol im in the states too

Buy a degree and then waste it on things I don't need till it's all gone and then work for the rest of my life.

Invest some for moderate personal gain (like buy a few apartment complexes to manage) and invest the rest for my own charity

Purchase several square miles of virgin forest. Set up a trust fund to make it protected land. Build my cabin, plant a garden and pretty much resume the kind of life I already lead (isolation) but only in a place with a lot more trees and critters.

Bravo Wrote:I'd put it in a savings account. I don't know if a 19 year old guy knows what to do with such money, so I'll just put it away and wait until I have enough maturity to use it. In the meantime, the bank will be paying me interest Smile

"the bank will be paying me interest"?

You're right, at 19 years old you really don't know what to do. Banks pay something like 00.50% these days and there are far more efficient ways of investing your money. If my very wonky maths are correct, at 00.50% you would get 25,000. Investing at even the comparatively low rate of 2.8% you would get 140,000.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Charity begins at home so first things first. I would buy myself a slightly larger home (nothing grandiose) with a garage (I have to park my modest car in the street and I'm fed up with it getting scratched) After that I'd look to see if there are any friends who would benefit from some money. The rest I would invest and what I earned would mostly go to my favourite human and animal charities. Like at least one other who has posted here, I would remain anonymous.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Just the first thing I'd do? I'd probably buy a cheeseburger. I bet I'd be hungry. Since I have so much money, let's get that in a combo meal with a Coke.

Big GS party at Austinville