Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dental Pain - Sticky situation...
Hi All,
I just want a bit of advice.... Has anyone ever had their wisdom teeth stop growing under the gums and then act up???? I was up at 2am and then scrubbing teeth to numb the pain.... I am not a fan of pain killers but what would be best???? I just wanted this to end and the next dentist appiointment is october 18th

kindest regards

zeon x

Mine keep rising and falling and sometimes, sometimes its like a banging head ache. whatever you do don't scrub your gums it will only make things worse. I have asked the dentist for xrays and stuff and apparently they will only take them out as a last resort. I think they justify the pain as being temporary therefore not needing to perform a surgery. But it depends on whether you are NHS or private. The best thing I find is 2 cocodamol's and a sleep in a dark room. Also sometimes they poke through the gums, heal over and are never to be seen. but thats life. good luck. Confusedmile:

I have impacted wisdom teeth...IE they are growing sideways...I'm 43 and still have them and have been told that unless you have pain or the wisdoms are impacting, keep them.

As for pain relief, Wisdom pain would need something with Coedine...Mersyndol for example, but Coedine based pain killers can make you drowsey. If the over the counter coedine isn't enough, go see a GP and get a script for something like Prodeine Forte.

Don't be brave and suffer the pain for the next couple of weeks, get some pain killers, as a temporary pain reliever they are perfectly safe and side effects other than drowsiness is pretty rare. You may even want to ask for a relaxant like Valium so you can get a good night sleep.

I feel for you as I have been nursing gall stones for 8 years and I also am a bit funny about pain killers, I am at the point now where some of the strongest pain killers don't work for me anymore and I'm going to end up in hospital in the next few weeks.

My suggestion.

Plan A. Paracetamol full dose regularly (not as needed) as per the packet.
Plan B. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen full dose as per the packets. (Providing you tolerate Ibuprofen OK)
Plan C. Over the counter co-codamol and ibuprofen, full dose as per the packets
Plan D. Go see your GP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

dfiant Wrote:I have impacted wisdom teeth...IE they are growing sideways...I'm 43 and still have them and have been told that unless you have pain or the wisdoms are impacting, keep them.
I also have impacted but was told to remove them because I guess the risk of an infection is greater? I haven't yet due to costs and not having any problems as of yet, so am kind of relieved to hear you've heard otherwise... but did want to point out the risk of infection I was told about, in case that is the issue with Zeon?

I have used stuff like Anbesol before to help dull tooth pain, not sure about gums. Did find this link for tooth pain as well: http://www.ehow.com/how_5720733_numb-tooth-pain.html

jbrowder24 Wrote:I also have impacted but was told to remove them because I guess the risk of an infection is greater? I haven't yet due to costs and not having any problems as of yet, so am kind of relieved to hear you've heard otherwise... [url=http://www.ehow.com/how_5720733_numb-tooth-pain.html][/url]

When I was a teen they were detected, My Orthodontist told me to leave them until I had trouble like pain, recurring infections, eruption etc, but he sadly passed away. At 20 I saw a new dentist who told me I had to have them taken out immediately with emergency surgery, I was bewildered as I have not felt any discomfort. Consequently I ignored him.

As the result of a move north I had to find another dentist about 10 years ago, the first thing he did was take x-rays and detected the impacted wisdoms, his advice 'Leave them alone'. Recently my new dentist took ill so I had to find another...you guessed it 'You need emergency surgery.' I challenged him saying that was what I was told 22 years ago and he needs to be honest with me because I don't believe him and the giveaway was he mentioned $3000 for surgery. So you guessed it, found another dentist.

so out of 5 dentists and myself, only 2 feel the need to make money from my wisdom teeth, the other 3 and my gut instinct says leave them since I have never for a moment had any pain what-so-ever.

So if you aren't having pain/infection, get a second opinion and trust your instincts.

Their concern is less money and more " something bad could happen by leaving them in"
My wisdom teeth were impacted but they weren't going to surface, however they were gonna disrupt the teeth on the top constantly, I could have left it in, but honestly its like this allusion
"putting cats and dogs in the same pen"
There's a chance they can get a long and co exist but there's a chance it could go horribly awry. Your dentist and my dentist just doesn't want things to go horribly awry because neither us the patient nor the dentist like trying to clean up the mess which was preventable

Hence the reason why a second opinion is warranted.

Try Oragel Extra, available from most pharmacies. It's a local aneasthetic gell you rub on the gum over the effected area.