Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a Jew, race or religion?
I get confused over this topic. Seems an atheist can still be a Jew because his mom was one and yet at the same time I know a guy born of Christian fundies (who hate Jews, btw) who converted to Judaism and is now called Jew (btw, I asked him this once and he couldn't say). I believe someone from Israel said that the Israeli courts wrestled with this question, too. It seems to me that English needs to make different words for different types (maybe like how arctic people are supposed to have different words for snow that don't translate well into English) and yet I don't understand how one is "racially" a Jew in the first place!

I did find this on UD:

Quote:A Jew is a person who's mother is Jewish. (Some streams of Judaism argue that Jewish patrimony can be acquired through the father as well).

Jews are not a race but an eclectic mix of different races, nationalities, and cultures; they are a truly multi-cultural and multi-ethnic people. However, within this mix, there are distinct ethnic groups such as the Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews that make up the overwhelming majority of the Jewish People.

Most American Jews are of Ashkenazic origin -- usually originating from Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union. Therefore, American Jews could largely be classified as an ethnic group, hence the characteristic stereotypes, although there are exceptions.

A Jew is not a person who practices Judaism, although most Jews do adhere to some form of Jewish practice or cultural tradition.

A Jew is not an Israeli and an Israeli is not a Jew. An Israeli is a citizen of the state of Israel. While most Israeli's are Jewish, there are also non-Jewish citizens of Israel.

A Jew is not automatically a citizen of the state of Israel. A Jew must apply for and be granted citizenship to the state just like everyone else, although most are awarded citizenship rather easily.

Larry King's parents were Ashkenazic Jews. Therefore, regardless of whether Larry King practices Judaism or not, Larry King is an Ashkenazic Jew.

Larry King is not an Israeli citizen

And if ethnicity is a defining factor then does that mean my ex-girlfriend raised Russian Orthodox is still Russian Orthodox/Christian despite that she became an atheist in college (thought "if there is a God then it would be found in higher mathematics, not a church"), told her family she wouldn't be going to church anymore, and accepted herself as a lesbian? If not then why is it different when someone raised Jewish rejects their religion? :confused:

People of Jewish/Hebrew heritage do have genetic differences, a big one being sickle cell anemia. I know because my bff has it
THE MORE YOU KNOW
Big Grin

But yeah, beyond a few genetic stuff, that's all I know

(idk if that answers your question, btw, I'm kinda derpin on a major level)

Thats a really, REALLY good question. I never thought about that before.

I will have to do some research on my own on this one.

Since there are many different ethnicitys who are Jewish and people who weren't Jewish can become so, there a religion not a race

As far as I'm aware, it's treated as an ethnicity at times as that's how it's been historically treated.

The Jewish populations have historically had trouble integrating into the culture of where they live, due to anti-Semitism, and because of their beliefs; so I guess this made them seem like a separate population of people at times.(Both to themselves, and to outsiders)

Genersis Wrote:As far as I'm aware, it's treated as an ethnicity at times as that's how it's been historically treated.

The Jewish populations have historically had trouble integrating into the culture of where they live, due to anti-Semitism, and because of their beliefs; so I guess this made them seem like a separate population of people at times.(Both to themselves, and to outsiders)

Thats why hitler thought they were a race, yet there IS blonde haired jews

its both.

Its like asking are you American because your family has lived there for 3 generations or are you American because you are a native American Indian.

Rae Wrote:People of Jewish/Hebrew heritage do have genetic differences, a big one being sickle cell anemia. I know because my bff has it
THE MORE YOU KNOW
Big Grin

But yeah, beyond a few genetic stuff, that's all I know

That can be considered racist >.>
All jews also have big nose, love money, and kill christian children to make bread for Matzot, right ? Wink

And yes, u can be jew and not believe in god.
In Israel there are alot of those actually ..
I guess there are also christian who don't believe in god, right ? so nothing special

I think its just a matter of definition that everyone can choose how to call themselves, the fact that your mother is jewish just give u the option to call yourself one Smile

Everybodys just a human being no matter what they call themselves and if your a jew or christian that doesnt believe in god but still call yourself christian or jew, dont expect me to agree, what a cop out!