Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the definition of "Boo"?
Hi, I'm an Asian and I only knew this term from my bf who is an American. And so, according to him, boo is a term that you can used to call your beloved ones. But I'm not really sure about it :confused:. So here, may I know what is your definition of "BOO"?

Boo. Hmm. Usually a loud spooky sound uttered by ghosts to frighten the mundanes out of their homes.

But. Boo is also the name of a bear. Yogi Bear's side kick was boo-boo. It was a cartoon, may still be The famous line I recall is 'hey boo-boo, lets go steal us a pick-a-nick basket' And Boo-boo's reply was 'What about Ranger Smith?'

When I think of 'Boo' I think immediately of Yogi's Side kick. Perhaps there is a bit of a homo-innuendo in their relationship, two guys, a rather large one, a rather short one always hanging out with one another.... Sounds fishy to me. Wink

On another front, Bo is short for 'baby' - as in what a guy may call is Gf/Bf. This appears to be growing in popularity in the newest generation.

Boo boo is a term that is derived from the French word "beau" meaning beautiful (18th Century) Thus boo may actually be a shortening of boo-boo as in beau.

Yes, it is a slang term one uses here in America for their significant other. It is suppose to be very affectionate and can be used by either gender. Basically it's an affectionate nickname for someone's boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife.

thanks for the comments, and if someone called you as his boo, meaning that, you're important to him? but what if at the same time he never talked to you, or seldom reply your msgs and never took initiative to tell you anything or send you any msgs for almost 2 months? and the replies from him would be like a single word or only came once after so many msgs from you?

John Wrote:thanks for the comments, and if someone called you as his boo, meaning that, you're important to him? but what if at the same time he never talked to you, or seldom reply your msgs and never took initiative to tell you anything or send you any msgs for almost 2 months? and the replies from him would be like a single word or only came once after so many msgs from you?

Well if you were texting me the problem is simple, I don't do 'chat' and I don't do instant messaging/texting. I just don't do it. I will if nagged into it, or forced into it - for as short a period of time as I possible can.

Well for that matter doesn't expect lengthy Telephone calls. I will listen, I rarely talk on the phone - except for business.

Maybe the BF is like that too?

If not, say you have watched him texting for hours on end, then maybe he is not that in to you....

I have to agree with Bowyn on that. If he's not into texting/talking on the phone and all that, then I wouldn't read that much into it. Texting can be impersonal because you can't hear the infliction in the other persons voice or see their facial expressions do that you can pick up on the non-verbal communication that is so important in a conversation. And talking on the phone can be tedious to some people.

However, if you see your guy textin other people all the time or he has a completely different attitude when he's on the phone with someone else, you might want to ask him what's up!

I don't know. He's weird. Sometimes he do text me and we even had long chat or skype. But currently no more already and he started to act weird again eg. no text, no skype, not even a reply.

It might be a bit odd, but, I don't like texting on my cell phone but will text on Skype or another messenger program. (Cell keyboard annoys me.)

Now as for not texting on Skype when he previously has. First what does he do for a job? When I was driving truck, I was home for four days once every four weeks and, when I wasn't home, 11 hours ON paper (700 miles) plus the other things I had to do for my job meant that by the time I would have had time to text anyone, I was too tired and needed to get something to eat and, get a few hours sleep.

He may have a very demanding job that tires him out and only feel up to texting anyone when he has a few days off. Don't jump to conclusions before you have all of the facts.

The first time I heard the word BOO (or boo-boo) used in a relationship was in a gay series called Noah's Arc; it seemed to be a loving word (a term of endearment like hon, honey, darling etc.) used by the African American community, but maybe just by southerners, in fact...

It was maybe derived from the French word Beau, which means beautiful (it would make sense) and therefore was probably first used in such places as Louisiana, which has a French heritage.

The only other instance of Boo that I knew of what as a shout to scare away someone... a ghost might go "Boo!" or someone hiding and suddenly appearing.

Blue Wrote:It might be a bit odd, but, I don't like texting on my cell phone but will text on Skype or another messenger program. (Cell keyboard annoys me.)

Now as for not texting on Skype when he previously has. First what does he do for a job? When I was driving truck, I was home for four days once every four weeks and, when I wasn't home, 11 hours ON paper (700 miles) plus the other things I had to do for my job meant that by the time I would have had time to text anyone, I was too tired and needed to get something to eat and, get a few hours sleep.

He may have a very demanding job that tires him out and only feel up to texting anyone when he has a few days off. Don't jump to conclusions before you have all of the facts.

He is now at another country for a study program. I'm not sure about it, really. I think what I can do right now is to wait until the moment when he really think of me.