Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is up with EU?
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I was wondering about moving to Europe, especially the EU is kinda falling apart and the refugee crisis at its peak. I have UK on my mind; how difficult is it for an American to move there? I know it is a very general question and one topic might not be enough to go more in depth.

Thanks in advance!

UK isn't in the EU much longer. The EU itself isnt falling apart its just the media scaring people. All depends where you want to live as each country has different rules and the people themselves are all different. Though I have to say the is a strong Nationalist feeling in a lot of countries at not just the UK and Europe, a lot of people are not so happy towards foreigners working in their countries.

The UK is a lot different than what Americans think its like.

Well that's kind of what I was wondering. I mean if I were to move to the UK, having a job is important and I think the US is similar in that regard towards foreigners as well. I mean I don't share that view but many do. I wouldn't want to live in a country where I would not get hired or have a hard time finding a job because I am an immigrant either...However, I suspect it varies by location as it is here in the US. Meaning that some places are more progressive towards immigrants or don't have problems with people from the US or wherever...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Dyson has some jobs going lol

Dyson Careers

That wouldn't be the kind of work I would be looking for...

Is the consensus that Americans who migrate to the UK would be not well welcomed?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:Well that's kind of what I was wondering. I mean if I were to move to the UK, having a job is important and I think the US is similar in that regard towards foreigners as well. I mean I don't share that view but many do. I wouldn't want to live in a country where I would not get hired or have a hard time finding a job because I am an immigrant either...

This thing with immigration is only a problem if your migrating from a poorer country. Trump wants to build a wall at the Mexican border, but not at the Canadian. EU has problems with people migrating in en masse from poor developing nations of Africa. Nobody has a problem with citizens coming from the US or within the EU (with Romanians being kind of an exception, but in their case it's to do with scamming for benefits, rather than genuine migration itself) or Asia (Japan, etc) or Australia.

Oh, and EU isn't falling apart anywhere.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Well I do see that the US is kind of...well not what it should be and I don't think it is going to reverse course anytime soon. I don't really like the culture here, people are assholes to each other. I mean there are nice people too and I suppose that won't change no matter where I end up...Unless I move to the tundra up in Canada then there isn't anything at all, not what need.

Anyway more food for thought and honestly I probably wouldn't move to another country just yet... mostly due to my mother being very ill and if I were to move to another county very likely not to see her or even my father again. Very expensive to travel back and forth, hence why I haven't gone anywhere. I do need to move out so that would be a good place to start.
Check out my stuff!

thanks guys for your comments and replies. the only country i visited was Turkey, being from Turkish background myself. the situation for LGBT people was not bad in big cities, yet the majority is pretty homophobic! the country though is fairly cheap and very beautiful, with hot men Big Grin, but with the current crazy president Erogan, crazier than Trump, it is very unclear where they are heading.

my goal is to live in Italy or Spain

axle2152 Wrote:That wouldn't be the kind of work I would be looking for...

Is the consensus that Americans who migrate to the UK would be not well welcomed?

It's funny here actually;

My Government prefers and actively seeks out American and European expatriates,

But general society dislikes them for that very reason and prefers other islanders such as ourselves. Mostly due to historical and cultural connections that we don't share with America despite being close and the disdain of the tumultuous relationship with our colonizer England.

And being that our base 'native' population is very low, treading just under 40.000 or so people, with the total being 60.000 combined with foreigners;

Foreign work is not as sharply monitored, however if it's a person from America or Europe, it tends to cause strife.

Like one of the executive chefs at my job is American I believe and not a single Bermudian likes him nor his methods:

Which also contributes to our work ethic and dislike of American and European expatriates, as our culture heavily dictates the way we operate ourselves:

And those two denominations specifically tend to go completely against our way, and so it offends many.

Such as Americans lacking interpersonal emotive skills in the work place and the Europeans ... "Habits", which for most Bermudians, is actually repulsive in the work place.

I got treated very differently when I worked in England, due to my accent, way of being and methods, and as such felt very unhappy along with other contributing factors, so I know what it's like to be on both sides of the "fence".

I simply believe people are happier and more comfortable in the company of their "own" and those similar to them:

Tho Americans and Europeans always seem to be more interested in inserting themselves within other communities than most other peoples that I have noticed. My people for example travel simply to purchase things otherwise unobtainable here on my island, or for simple leisure, but not often to live and if so, not for very long, with frequent visits back to the island.

Perhaps we are simply island bound, however, I think the matter of cooperative international fraternization at times heavily depends on the complimentary natures of the cultures and ways of life of said blending.

Well that is kind of a shame. I'd like to think I'm easy to get along with, I'm more of a quiet type, but I wouldn't want to work in anything relating to hospitality or really the public for that matter... I guess I'll be marrying a computer, since that's what I do.

If I had the choice I would love to visit Bermuda but definitely not live there. One it is a small island and secondly for the reasons you just pointed out. The natives don't like Americans for various reasons. I will say I have worked with lousy people and were difficult to get along with....not always the case, there are probably decent folks there. I think the lack of emotional intelligence is due to changes in our culture... Kids are growing up having less and less social interactions, and that's holding true all over....lots of narcissistic behavior these days and it is going to get more and more common... Not saying I'm some shinning example of a "good" American, I certainly have my share of problems.
Check out my stuff!