Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What it was like before gay sex was decriminalised.
This radio play (well worth the listening) which was aired this afternoon may not be on much longer than a week. It retraces what it was like to be gay and wish for gay relationships in the times when gay sex was a criminal offense in the United Kingdom (ie before 1967).
The scene is set just at the turn of the century. It's based loosely on several things we may have encountered culturally, such films as Victim or Maurice, Oscar Wilde's The Portrait of Dorian Gray, a number of works we've read, or seen, or watched which all hark back to those times of uncertainty and stealth.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05vy5ns

[Image: p02rt6f9.jpg]

Those were terrible times.

I remember many a night crawling into my bedroom window late at night after doing a trick in the back alley. Having to clean my knees off and wipe my face!!!...... One night I had a rotten banana peel stuck to my knees.........

I was really upset when they put street lights in the alleys and ruined my sex life completely!!!

Those hobo's probably missed me (big grin)......

Sin-cerely,
Wacky Jim
We Have Elvis !!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...33666.html

Sadly, there are still 12 countries where homosexuality is punishable by death...and quite a few more where it is illegal, with varying degrees of punishment. In 17 countries, "LGBTQ propaganda" can land you in jail...that is, displaying anything that might be seen as promoting homosexuality.

It makes me incredibly grateful that my grandparents chose to emigrate to this country.

Picture of Dorian Gray was such a great book! I'm a bit drained, but I'm sure this is a great and poignant piece to watch.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:Picture of Dorian Gray was such a great book! I'm a bit drained, but I'm sure this is a great and poignant piece to watch.

... to 'listen to', @Confuzzled4, as it's a radio drama. Just find 45 minutes of your time to listen to it. I do my housework while I listen to the radio.

I listened to some of it yesterday, was a little dry but appreciated the connection to the book.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:Those were terrible times.

I remember many a night crawling into my bedroom window late at night after doing a trick in the back alley. Having to clean my knees off and wipe my face!!!...... One night I had a rotten banana peel stuck to my knees.........

I was really upset when they put street lights in the alleys and ruined my sex life completely!!!

Those hobo's probably missed me (big grin)......

Sin-cerely,
Wacky Jim

:eek:
Street lights didn't come on until centuries after those experiences... RolleyesDon't try to fudge things, after all dinosaurs didn't have head lights until well after my first trip around that block, and as everyone knows I'm far, far,far, far younger than you.Roflmao