Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of music do you like?
I always thought "freestyle" was such an odd name for the genre, since it seemed just as formula-bound as most other dance-pop genres. That isn't to say I didn't like it. Smile

Lex

Lexington Wrote:I always thought "freestyle" was such an odd name for the genre, since it seemed just as formula-bound as most other dance-pop genres. That isn't to say I didn't like it. Smile

Lex

Hey Lex, I have to say, I never really liked the term "Freestyle".

From what I've heard, in the mid-80s when it first started to become popular it was called "Latin Hip-Hop". In fact, in an interview, Betty Dee (lead singer for Sweet Sensation) said that Sweet Sensation was a "Latin Hip-hop" group.

However, in an effort to make the genre appeal to a larger audience and not just to Latin/Spanish listeners, "latin Hip-hop" was dropped for "freestyle".
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Like most genres, the name is just a sound to indicate the genre. The original definition of the word doesn't have to apply. If a pop record bombs, it's not popular, but it's still "pop". If an indie band signs to a major label, they're still considered "indie". Most country is now recorded in urban areas, most jazz isn't sexual in nature, etc etc etc. Smile

Lex

Hnmmmm...so much....

Lately...I have been listening to...

Alicia Keyes
Mary J Blige
Earth Wind & Fire
Nancy Wilson
Sly & Family Stone
WAR
George Benson
Herbie Hancock
Chaka Khan
Gladys Knight
Chris Botti
Rachelle Ferrell
Patti Austin
Quincy Jones
Spinners
Miles Davis
Dee Dee Bridgewater Gamble
Phyllis Hyman
Marvin Gaye
The Crusaders
Randy Crawford
Brothers Johnson
Melba Moore
....and Led ZepplinDance2

Oh yeah...I like R&B/Soul/Jazz and Rock Music.most genres of rock...

Lexington Wrote:Like most genres, the name is just a sound to indicate the genre. The original definition of the word doesn't have to apply. If a pop record bombs, it's not popular, but it's still "pop". If an indie band signs to a major label, they're still considered "indie". Most country is now recorded in urban areas, most jazz isn't sexual in nature, etc etc etc. Smile

Lex

Is it still called college rock if it's played on commercial radio? Wink

Is it still called college rock if it's played on commercial rock? Can rock still be alternative if it's mainstream? Wink