Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of person would you refuse to befriend?
Generally anyone trying to outlaw my love life or prays every night for Jesus to return and torture me with locusts.

SolemnBoy Wrote:I can understand that you think like that and yes communism has caused loads of terrible things throughout history. However, it's not EVIL in and of itself, people have just been bad at implementing it practically. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of communism either, but I don't believe a person should be judged for having communist opinions.

hmmm. But he/she can be judged for having let's say racist opinions?

I think we all judge others and we won't befriend some for smaller reasons.

SolemnBoy Wrote:Wikipedia can probably explain it better but basically socialdarwinism looks at humans from an "evolutional" viewpoint; some races are weaker than others and therefore doomed to either die out or to submit themselves to stronger races. It's a really repulsive way of thinking :/

thanks, my smiley seems to be inappropriate.

And to your question... I can be much more tolerant to my friends than to my acquaintances. If I don't feel comfortable around a person, I won't let him/her come close.
But if someone becomes my friend I stick to him/her even if I learn that something about them makes me uncomfortable.

Which is kind of "the other way around" and maybe unusual, but this is how it works for me. I am not sure how far I can be pushed though. Probably too far. I tend to understand and try to justify people who have tendencies to abuse me; even in my age. Which is kind of ... uh.. bad, sad, pathetic?

But I don't think I could be friend with a communists Wink So, look, I have my limits :biggrin:

Nick9 Wrote:hmmm. But he/she can be judged for having let's say racist opinions?

I think we all judge others and we won't befriend some for smaller reasons.

thanks, my smiley seems to be inappropriate.

And to your question... I can be much more tolerant to my friends than to my acquaintances. If I don't feel comfortable around a person, I won't let him/her come close.
But if someone becomes my friend I stick to him/her even if I learn that something about them makes me uncomfortable.

Which is kind of "the other way around" and maybe unusual, but this is how it works for me. I am not sure how far I can be pushed though. Probably too far. I tend to understand and try to justify people who have tendencies to abuse me; even in my age. Which is kind of ... uh.. bad, sad, pathetic?

But I don't think I could be friend with a communists Wink So, look, I have my limits :biggrin:

No, I kind of see what you mean. If some of my friends since 10 years back revealed something shocking I would probably be able to accept it. Also, it's not sad or pathetic, I'm like that too. As long as you make sure to draw the line it's just good to be understanding and kind Smile

SolemnBoy Wrote:Okay, this wasn't really part of the discussion, I'd just like to kindly point out that it's impossible to know something like that "as a fact".

Actually it is a fact, its in the bible. Its a fact.

Now go back and read what I wrote above, how I wrote it, then read what I wrote in the sentence above. Think about it... Xyxthumbs

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Actually it is a fact, its in the bible. Its a fact.

Now go back and read what I wrote above, how I wrote it, then read what I wrote in the sentence above. Think about it... Xyxthumbs

Haha no, everything except what I quoted made sense to me. But there's no way a discussion will ever lead to anything. Let's just agree to disagree? Smile

This is why the inventor of the sarcasm text is going to be a millionaire.

just want to add that some of the communists aren't real supporters as they join the party for better life and greater chances of getting a job etc. at least I know some of them are, in mainland china.
I think people above meant the one who truly believe and support the communist tho, just add as a reference.

back to topic I'm fine for most of the things as long as that person is not harmful to me eg hostility, deception for benefits etc

Quote:This is why the inventor of the sarcasm text is going to be a millionaire.

on the other hand, where the beauty of it would be then? Rolleyes

Wow! Now I wonder what is wrong with me! I will make friends with anyone, anytime, anywhere. I have learned not to judge or make assumptions about anyone. I will strike up a conversation with anyone willing to hang around and put up with me. I do not care what side of the fence you are on because I don’t think I have any fences!

The way I see it, EVERYBODY needs a friend now and then, so who am I to say, “You are not good enough for me so get lost.” This has created some rather amazing incidences, all good. I can also say that I have some rather odd friends as a result and none of them I would not be pleased to call my friend.

Drug/Alcohol Addition. I remind myself that the person inside that body is not the person I am looking at. However, it is a bit of a embarrassment when I am downtown with friends and a street kid comes up to me, hugs me and says THANK YOU for being my friend.

Prostitutes. These are people trying to just survive the best they can. I have bought meals for them when they are hungry and listened to their stories (of which I usually do not believe a single word, and they know it. They just needed to convince themselves that they are really okay.)

Okay, there is one class that I cannot be friends with: The class that makes me choose between being THEIR friend or friends with someone they do not approve of. I simply say, “Sorry I heard that.” And walk away, never to speak to them again. Anyone that ever makes me choose will ALWAYS lose!

I have a pretty wild imagination so I could see becoming friends (or at least civil acquaintances where I wouldn't avoid them) with just about anyone. But barring an apocalyptic (or other extreme) scenerio I suppose I'd have to say Westboro Baptist and open neo-nazis. I can handle casual bigots (including those who don't trust or like white people, lesbians, or women like me as long as they're not actively hostile or malicious) but not someone who actually joins a group like White Aryan Resistance (or for that matter the New Black Panthers). When I was younger I was willing to give them the benefit of a doubt (even made friends with one skingirl though I accidentally convinced her to leave which led to all kinds of trouble for us both, actually what was done to me is part of why I won't have anything to do with them now), but bad experiences taught me the error of my ways (and no I'm not talking "just one bad experience while ignoring the better experiences").

Similarly I no longer associate with anyone who is not a Southerner yet proudly displays the Dixie flag (including bumper stickers). Southerners who do can be ok (my cousin in Texas does and he's not racist or anything like that) so I'll give them the benefit of a doubt but in my experience native Californians who love the Dixie flag tend to be very racist and/or extremely obnoxious, effectively living up to the worst stereotypes of Southerners with twisted pride, and from what I've seen in the news that's true of other non-Southerners as well (there were even Canadian biker gangsters who proudly waved a Dixie flag to protest a gay pride parade who went on to commit the Shedden massacre).