Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite coast?
Arkansota Wrote:I don't understand what you're reacting to. In the USA, America means the United States. Elsewhere, it might mean the whole 2 continents.

Japan is Nippon to people who live there, but I don't see you guys posting memes about how people from Japan aren't using the correct name for their own country.

The world refers to residents of the USA as Americans, so they seem to agree with me.

I have to wonder, are you guys legitimately that excessively politically correct or are you trolling?

Oh yeah, and that picture you posted forgets that Alaska is a part of America. Tongue

But "Nippon" means and translates to "Japan", sir

"America", however does not mean "United States"...

southbiochem Wrote:But "Nippon" means and translates to "Japan", sir

"America", however does not mean "United States"...

It does to us Big Grin

Arkansota Wrote:I'm telling you the truth, though. I am not being intolerant. We call ourselves Americans and that is a FACT.

I hear you, Johnny, let's leave this where it is..

Arkansota Wrote:It does to us Big Grin

The countries constitutions refer to a country by one official name..

you don't get to change it to whatever you like..

southbiochem Wrote:Cause the countries constitutions refer to a country by one official name..

you don't get to change it to whatever you like..

There is a difference between the official name of a country and its vernacular name.

For example, the Russian Federation is commonly known as Russia, but that is a vernacular name.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo is another example- People sometimes call it Zaire. That is perfectly valid and acceptable.

Arkansota Wrote:Excuse me, but nobody in the USA calls it the United States. We call it America. We are allowed to call our own country whatever we want to call it.

You're being preachy IMO and I am kind of getting annoyed at it.

The thing is that here, you're not in the USA, you're on the Internet with people from everywhere (even some are from South America...as surprizing as it may seem, they exist! :p )
And you know what? You're not even on an American forum, yes yes I'm telling you!
I haven't read a lot the word "America" to designate the US here, still less when someone refers to the US geography.

It's in your right to make bunch of topics about the difference between the weather in Ohio and the baseball team of Iowa, but please, accept criticisms.

And just an advice, open your mind, it might be useful for you one day.

Arkansota Wrote:There is a difference between the official name of a country and its vernacular name.

For example, the Russian Federation is commonly known as Russia, but that is a vernacular name.

Yes but Russia doesn't name itself "Europe", nor China names itself "Asia" nor Egypt names itself "Africa"

"America", understand this, is the name of a whole continent..

I can't even begin to explain to you how incredibly offensive it is for the inhabitants of the other 34 countries in the continent when United States is referred to as America

I understand what you mean, and I'm not American, but If I was from Canada or Brazil, I've considered myself American, not less than someone from the U.S. ...
On GS there's people from everywhere, consider this fact ;-)

And also we can ask to Meg-chan for example, I think the pronunciation of 'Nippon' is more 'Nihon'
Italy is Italia, Germany is Deutschland etc etc... ;-)

Ekwarph Wrote:The thing is that here, you're not in the USA, you're on the Internet with people from everywhere (even some are from South America...as surprizing as it may seem, they exist! :p )
And you know what? You're not even on an American forum, yes yes I'm telling you!
I haven't read a lot the word "America" to designate the US here, still less when someone refers to the US geography.

It's in your right to make bunch of topics about the difference between the weather in Ohio and the baseball team of Iowa, but please, accept criticisms.

And just an advice, open your mind, it might be useful for you one day.

Please open your mind as well to the fact that people in the USA overwhelmingly prefer to call it America. It's not just a few people- It's pretty much everyone here.

southbiochem Wrote:Yes but Russia doesn't name itself "Europe", nor China names itself "Asia" nor Egypt names itself "Africa"

"America", understand this, is the name of a whole continent..

I can't even begin to explain to you how incredibly offensive it is for the inhabitants of the other 34 countris in the continent when United States is referred to as America

I should not be criticized for using the term "America" to refer to the USA. That is universal in the country that I live in. It's not a matter of sensitivity- It's so engrained at this point that it's not fair to criticize me for using the term when everyone else in this country uses it the same way as well.

Honestly, people would look at me funny if I called it the USA and never called it America. That's what we call it. It's a part of our national identity.